Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is this a good deal on this trace elliot combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scuba steve, Mar 20, 2006.

1. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    i've been looking to get a better/bigger rig for a while when i found this on the bay. it's a trace elliot gp11 combo. it's in ok/descent cosmetic condition, and the seller says it works fine. the seller has good feedback. im really not concerned about the cosmetic condition of my amps as long as they are not trashed out and work good, so a few dings and scratches are ok. the link to the amp is below. also, y'all please don't out bid me. jk.

trace elliot combo

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    IMO it is a really good deal. If I was wanting that particular combo I would have already used the Buy-It-Now option! I think the BIN price is very reasonable.

3. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    so you think that the condition is okay. also, how old do you think it is? and can you fill me in about the 2 seperate poweramps? thanks alot

4. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I think the condition doesn't look that bad. Heck, I have gigged worse looking amps/cabs! :p

As for it's age, that is a tough one. Being that it is a GP11 (aka MkV) it should have been made in the 80's. However, the red strip is throwing me off. :meh: It looks like someone took an older GP11 and put it into a later combo cab. The red stripe, the large dustcaps, and the fact the dustcaps don't have the Trace Elliot name on them leads me to think the "cab" portion is mid 90's or newer. :meh:

The dual amp system is only when you are running a bi-amped setup. One cab running highs while another gets all the lows. Hope that helps.

5. I love Trace Elliot stuff as well, me being the proud owner of an AH500-12, with the GP12 preamp. Very niiice!
    The GP11 predates the GP12, so I'm guessing it's from the early '90s.
    The price seems sweet to me, even if it was for sale over here, being a lot closer to the UK.
    I think the two poweramps are permanently bridged into the 4x10, because it looks to me the rear outputs have been removed. Trace poweramps are usually made to drive a 4 Ohm load max., so if the 4x10" is 8 Ohms, which I think it is, then that's all it can drive in bridged mode. (If I recall correctly... it's getting late here).
    It'll move air (and perhaps even soil) like a carpet bombing with 500W pushing a Trace 4x10" :D I can make my T-shirt sleeves flap around with my 4x10" without the sound breaking up, even though that's rather stupid.

6. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    explain more about the bi-amping. im a little confused.

7. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    It's a good deal on a pretty good sounding amp...

However, while it may not be a wallet breaker, it'll be a backbreaker.

That's why you don't see many 4x10 combo's they are bulky and heavy when built togeather (especially since it's a Trace cab). It is much easier to haul a cab and head separately. Keep in mind that casters can help some.

8. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    how much does this combo weigh?

9. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Bi-amping is where you split the signal coming from your amp into high and low frequencies. Say you have it set to split at 150hz. That means the frequencies below 150hz would go to one cab (1x15, 1x18, 2x15) and you would be sending all frequencies above 150hz to another cab (4x10, 2x10, 4x8, 2x12). Hope that is a little clearer.

Taking an educated guess, I think it would weigh around 130 lbs or so.