Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by CS Bass, Dec 21, 2003.

1. CS Bass

CS Bass

Feb 18, 2003
    I was looking at this website:

And I found these bows and prices:
    BV-850-BF French $207.00

BV-950-BF French $339.00

Are these good deals on bows?

How much better is pernambuco wood in the same bow?

2. Given the reputation of Palatino basses, why would you even consider one of their bows?
  3. CS Bass

CS Bass

Feb 18, 2003
    Sorry, I'm very new to bass shopping. I've never even heard of Palatino before. I've been playing for six years in my school orchestra, but have just recently started thinking of better equipment. I'm really just looking for the best bow I can get for 200-400.
  4. Run away from these bows. First of all, don't buy musical instruments (including bows) off the internet unless you're really, really sure of what you're getting. Second; check out this forum and some other stuff on the internet regarding Palatino. Probably a simple google search would turn it up; but basically this stuff is crap.

For those kind of prices you should be able to find something playable, but probably not pernambuco. Pernambuco is almost always going to be much better than brazilwood, if you can afford it, but thats not to say there aren't decent brazilwood bows out there. My advice? Go bow shopping in person with your teacher, take your time, (like months, not days) and wait for the right bow at the right price. ;)
  5. CS Bass

CS Bass

Feb 18, 2003
    See that's the thing. I kind of need the bow before January 17th because I have honors auditions. (I'm in high school) The bow I'm using right now is fiberglas and plastic with synthetic hair. Did I mention it's broken?

I'll take your advice and go to a store. I should get a teacher too. And some strings that aren't 15 years old.
  6. Wyzird05

Dec 1, 2003
    South Bend, IN
    The shop I work for in South Bend,IN sells some pernam. bows for about $250 that play pretty well. They are chinese, but we also sell some czech bows for around $300. If you want any more info e-mail me. Ultimately it is up to you to try them and find one that works for you.
  7. Even if you can't find a good buy by then, at least have your fiberglass bow rehaired with real horsehair.

I used a Glaser fiberglass bow with horsehair for two years in an orchestra setting. It's not pernumbuco, or brazlwood for that matter, but it's at least playable.
  8. CS Bass

CS Bass

Feb 18, 2003
    Ok guys I went to one of the shops around here and it's closed now, then I went to Sam Ash and they had one that looked like it *might* have been made of wood...

I'll keep looking.
  9. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I accidentally posted a reply to this thread in the wrong item :-( What I said there was that the Glasser composite bows are a pretty good deal for the money- you can get them for under $200 if you look around. A nice step up from the solid fiberglass sticks. Even I can tell the difference ;-) Better than buying an unknown cheap brazilwood bow blind.