Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sascrotch, Mar 9, 2001.

1. Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Im now an intermediate player after many lessons, and my cheapey washburn isn't cutting it. So i head down to guitar center and see a Green tagged Fender American P-Bass for about $400. The thing is its last years model, is missing the small nut where the plug input is and is missing the volume nob. SHould i go grab this or is it not worth it?

2. i say if you can get those two things fixed for a small price, then id say its a great deal.

3. Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Im pretty set on getting it. Just asking for a second opinion. Only way id not buy this is someone told me that years basses had a flaw or something.

4. The missing parts are easily replaced for about $20 (guesstimate). If it feels right and sounds good to you, then $400 sounds like a good deal. I personally haven't heard of the alleged flaw. What, specifically, is supposed to be flawed in that model?

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Good price for a good P bass, Sascrotch.

Welcome back to Talkbass. I was afraid after the rudeness that you encountered last time you posted that we might never hear from you again.

Unless the bass is as-is, you might see if they will at least put a nut on the output jack for you.

But if they won't, you can buy a pack of 6 at a hardware store for less than 2 bucks.

And you can get a pack of knobs for less than $20.00

If P bass is what you are looking for feel and soundwise, I say go for it!

HOLY COW!!! Post #2112? I wish that I could stay at that magic number!

Maybe I'll never post again.

6. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Every GC I've ever been in has a plastic box under or near the cash register with a sometimes unbelievable number of trem arms,straplock pins,volume knobs both plastic and metal,pickup selector switch tips etc. etc. You should have no trouble getting them to find you a volume knob.

7. Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Ive been here just don't post alot. I just picked it up. I meant to say earlier that the only way i wouldn;t get it is if someone told me there was some flaw, thats an if. Its nice, just put on some new strings and put some SD pickups on it and its great.