Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by emielow, May 17, 2005.

1. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    Hello

I can Buy this Double bass for 900 Euro's :

[​IMG]

the guy says its 90 years old, with a 'pine' ? top ? (dennen in dutch) a 'ebben' neck, and the rest triplex...

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Why does the link for the pic say "Cello".... :meh: ?

3. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    it's the category in wich the bass is sold on a internetsite..

4. Bruce Lindfield

So this is like Dutch eBay...an auction site? So people could actually bid much higher than 900 Euro...?

5. Yes, Marktplaats is an auction site. It works a little different from e-bay. Sellers give an asking price and bidders cannot be held to their bids.

Dennen is Dutch for fir, ebben is ebony, triplex is laminate.

I don't trust this very much. Did they make laminated basses in the 1920's?

900 euro's is about 700 USD, not a lot for a bass of 80 years old.

Greetings,

Hans

6. Oops wrong way around!

900 euro is 1,150 USD still not much

Hans

7. If the rest of the bass looks as good as this angle, I say grab it.

8. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    mmm the guy send me an email.. there is a crack in the top :meh: is it still a good deal?

9. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    deventer, in the middle :)

10. The top doesn't look laminated....especially with that crack in it. Laminated wood doesn't crack like that....it may be a hybrid...carved top and laminated back and ribs. You better grab it quick!

11. Bruce Lindfield

But I suppose my point was - what happens if somebody bids 1,000 Euros or 2,000 etc. etc. ?

12. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    who bids most, can have it. but if i have a agreement with the guy who is selling it for 900, i can have it. and if someone bids 2000, it's a pitty, i allready have it..

BUT... there is a crack... (yes its a fir top, not laminated, with a crack) how bad is it? can you play with a crack? is it fixable? or do you need a whole new top?

13. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    here a better pic of it

[​IMG]

14. Istar

Istar

Apr 5, 2005
    Antwerp, Belgium
    You have to remember that basses in the Netherlands are MUCH cheaper here than in the states. I`ve already seen fool wooden (meaning non laminated (geen triplex !) basses for a little bit more than 1000 euros. Sure they sounded awful but than again who says this one doesn’t, have you played it ? My advice : look around a little bit more and go to some GOOD Luthiers, maybe even ask their advice. If you want I can e-mail you some good addresses. :)

15. Bruce Lindfield

Is that legal? Doesn't the site have rules about that kind of thing - could the seller be "sued" or accused of fraud,by any higher bidder, who could claim they had paid the money "in good faith" and then the goods haven't been provided!! :meh:

I know there was a guy in the UK who was selling stuff he didn't have, on UK eBay and got sent to prison, recently!!
    :scowl:

16. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    yes please...

heb je mn emailadres?

17. Istar

Istar

Apr 5, 2005
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Nope.. give !

18. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    to Bruce Lindfield,

the Netherlands are not the US.. within 2 hours, you are every corner of the Netherlands, so if you're selling something expensive, you will go and get it..

but yes, there is a risk, if you pay before you get the product, and the guy don't send it, you do have a problem. it is happened with concerttickets once, some guy selling lots of front-row tickets for a dutch artist, inning the money from lots of people and not sending the tickets ...

19. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    istar,

pm send...

20. Istar

Istar

Apr 5, 2005
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Send you an E-mail !