Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sutton, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    What did you get on eBay?

3. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I'm an idiot. The auction link was added

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Yo Sutton,

I had just the head version of one of these a while back. Not a bad practice amp. Not real loud as I recall, or at least with the cab I had it paired up with at the time, but I did like the tone. One thing to look for is the the transformer in the head is screwed together and is known to come loose. It was faily easy to open up the head and get in there and tighten the screws. I noticed some rattling from inside the head wen playing when I first got mine and that's what it turned out to be and I remember reading online that some others had the same issue. Aside from that, it was decent. Oh, I remeber that it had a minimum load of 8 ohms which was kind of a bummer but that some guys were running it at 4 ohms without issue but I never took the risk. Believe it or not I think (I'm not sure) that I still may have the manual for that head laying around somewhere. If I find it over the next couple of days, I'll be more than happy to mail it to you. L8r!

5. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    ok, cool. Yeah, I have an 1981 Ampeg 115 combo, but it weights in at about 90 lbs! I'm looking to get a nice little combo that will be loud enough for small practices, and doesnt break my back to lug around. So you think I got a pretty good deal then? I have head nothing but good things about pre-gibson Trace stuff (I assume this is pre gibson, right?) But I wanna make sure what I got there was a keeper.

6. Quadzilla

I think you did pretty well assuming you don't get bent over on shipping. Like I said, good tone, just not super loud but should be ok for for a medium volumed practice or small gig. My head didn't have a line out for recording or a PA, so you would have to mic it...

7. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Well I have a mesa, so if I'm recording, chances are, I'm going to be using that. I just wanted to make sure I got a decent deal. Does anyone else have an opinion?

8. Quadzilla

I got my head brand new sealed "old stock" on closeout for $99 at the time. I know that it originally went for much more new and that was just a head, no 1x12 cab like you have so unless you get bent over on the shipping, you did pretty well...

9. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI

Shipping should be about 30-40 bucks....so I suppose I faired out well