Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Mar 20, 2006.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

Just wanted to know your opinion on this deal: A friend wants my Carvin BB75 and he says that he can give me the equivalent to US $800 right now. I bought that bass factory direct in September 2000 and it costed me US $924 plus shipping, but unfortunately, at the time I didn't know anybody who could bring it here without paying such high custom taxes, so I had to pay an extra 26% of that value. The bass is in mint condition and I'm not playing it anymore since I got my Bongo. Of course I know that the market is very different here for sure, but anyway I'd like to know what do you think of my friend's offering. Here's the bass:

[​IMG]

Thank you in advance for your input! :)

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I think $800 for that bass used is a very good deal. Since carvins are sold factory direct, they tend to lose their value on the used market. I would say if you are looking to sell the bass, that price is very reasonable.

3. I agree. That seems like a fair used price.

4. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Alvaro -

That's a very fair price -- if I were you, I'd do the deal right away.

JUst out of curiousity, how do you like the bass? How does it compare to your Bongo tone-wise, and feel-wise?

5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

It's a nice bass. I like how it plays and sounds, but the Bongo is way much superior. The only point I can say the Carvin surpasses the Bongo is the access to the 24th fret, which is incredibly comfortable. I was working on arrangements of some of J.S. Bach's two-part inventions trying to take advantage of the bass' highest register and I had to change some 24th fret fingerings from pinky to ring for playing them in my Bongo.

There are other great things about the Carvin like the wide string spacing, the ebony fingerboard and the assymetrical neck, but the Bongo is simply a beast that cannot be beaten by any other mass produced bass (in my opinion, of course). Both the Carvin and the Bongo are versatile basses (something very important to me), but character is the word I'd use to differentiate them. And one thing's for sure: No matter if I ever get the Rolls-Royce of the basses, I will never sell my Bongo. No other instrument has satisfied me the way this one has done.