1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MikeCollatos, Oct 5, 2009.

1. MikeCollatos

MikeCollatos

Oct 5, 2009
    Virginia
    Have a chance to get back my old Hartke 7000 head and 4.5XL cab for 1K or get a new LH1000 head and a HX410 cab both for about the same amount of cash. The LH and HX for about $50 more and a warrenty... The LH and HX would be new and the 7000 and Xl are about 12 years old maybe older. I bought them used 12 years ago so who knows... I'm gonna go play through the LH and HX this week since I have not heard this setup yet but have heard the great reviews on it and think I will be happy with the new hydrive sound. But as far as money goes, is 1K to much for that used setup now being 12+ years old if I do decide to go that route? It has been house kept since I sold it to the guy 5 years ago and he has rarely ever turned on. He wanted to learn to play bass but just never could get the hang of it.

2. MikeCollatos

MikeCollatos

Oct 5, 2009
    Virginia
    33 views and no one has an opinion on whether 1K is a reasonable deal for a Hartke 7000 head and a XL4.5 cab?

3. I wouldn't do it.

4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I had two different 3500 heads from the first year of production, and I wasn't excited about them. In my experience the heads just aren't worth much. The compressor is useless (unless you have one from the very first production run that had a dbx compressor in them). No matter where I set the pre-amp gain controls the compressor kicked in at any setting above the click. The two pre-amps have ugly EQ's built into them that fight each other making using them together a hassle. And to get a reasonable sound required drastic EQ, which left little EQ available to equalize to a room.

The 4.5XL however, was a wonderful cabinet. Not as punchy as my original Guild/Hartke 410's, but a bigger bottom and nice smooth high end. I really liked that tweeter more than any other tweeter I've played through.

But as for a grand for a 7500 and single 4.5XL? Probably not worth it. If I recall correclty the 7500 is a stereo amp with 350 RMS/side @ 4 ohms, and no bridge mode (I could be wrong on that). The 4.5XL is a single 8 ohm box, so if the amp is like I remember, you're only going to get about 180 WRMS into that single box. That sounds like a good reason to go with a newer amp alone.

John

5. MikeCollatos

MikeCollatos

Oct 5, 2009
    Virginia
    Thanks for the responses, I wasn't even thinking about the ohms to watts deal. The amp is only 350 @4ohms per channel stereo (un-bridgable) and the cab is 8ohms so it would only get 180w. When I had the setup before I also had a 210xl and 215xl cab with it which I sold to this guy as well for 2K. He's selling it all for $1700 now but I only have 1K and don't really feel like lugging around that 215Xl cab again anyway if I had the cash for the whole rig. I'd rather just have a amp and a 410 at this point.

Gonna go check out the LH and HX tomorrow and possibly check out a few other brands as well.

6. I traded my old TA3500 and 410XL for the LH1000 and HX410. I loved my old rig and don't agree with JTE at all, the comp was really useful and I mostly left the EQ flat. I only used the tube pre as the ss was rather dull. The LH plus HX is IMO an improvement in tone and power, but long term reliability is still to be proven. IMO $1K for the old rig is way OTT, but a good price for the LH/HX rig new. Add the HX115 to the system and you have a rig for any occasion.

7. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    You can do WAAAAAAAYYY better. Here is some stuff I found in the classifieds at TB that I think would be a way better rig than the Hartke rig you are looking at. I am not a Hartke hater. However, I had some real bad experiences in the past with Hartke gear -AND- Hartke isn't much of "the in brand" in today's market. Some of the "in" brands you should be looking at are Aguilar, Schroeder, Epifani, Genz Benz, Bergantino, and MarkBass to name a few. Even some of the old skol main stay brands like Ampeg and SWR have lost market appeal due to some of the, IMO superior, brands listed above. Basically, if I was you, I would steer clear of anything Hartke unless it is free or almost free. You should do some research on some of the brands I have listed.....or post a thread like "$1000 for a head and 410 cab, which ones".....you will get some good suggestions with a thread like that.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=584199 - Dr. Bass DRB410 $500

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587352 - MarkBass LMII $450