Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chris.gotfunk, Sep 7, 2010.

1. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    Usually, I am pretty good at this, but I am curious what you all think.

I have the chance to buy a great 2007 MIA (2008 spec'd-the new ones) candy cola Fender jazz 4 string for $680. I love me some 4 string and the bass feels incredible even without a great setup.

I am just curious if this is a good deal. I can't really see myself losing money if I go to sell it in the future, but I would like your opinions.

Of course, I expect to hear the, "If you think it is a good deal... then it is... etc... " but let me know if you all would pull the trigger.

Thanks!

2. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Personally I wouldn't pay more than $500-$600. But that's just me. If you like it and have the bucks, go for it. It's a nice bass and the price is not too outrageous.

3. I'm assuming it's MIM. If so it's a pretty good deal if new. I don't think i'd pay that much for one though. Good deals are personal.

4. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    Sorry all. This is the new American Made Fender jazz.

5. Mike19

Mike19

Aug 11, 2009
    Tallahassee, Fla
    A new 4 string American Standard J (MIA) sells for $1250 at GC.

Used ones go for $700 to $1000 @ GC online and eBay.

So, $680 sounds like a great deal, depending upon the condition.

6. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    $600 is the most I would pay and that is still a tad high IMO.

7. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Sounds like a good deal under $700 if the finish is very good, and blemishes are very minimal.

You big city TB'rs, I'm envious of the $500-600 'used' USA Fenders that you find floating around. I've never seen one (been playing for a year).

8. Jimmy Stump

Jimmy Stump

Jan 27, 2010
    Canada
    For real? $600 is a steal for an 07 or 08 MIA Jazz.

9. treekiller

treekiller

Mar 4, 2010
    Iowa
    I have one & they are pretty nice, but I don't seem to play it much as I prefer my Precisions. If it is decent and has the case & all the candy, that price is very reasonable.......
    If you'll excuse me, I think I'd better pull it out and play it for a while!

10. with a case? i paid 675$ for my '08 and i decided to get something else, i posted it on craigs with best trade offer and some guy offered me 850$ cash.

11. ExurKun

ExurKun

Sep 29, 2009
    Rochester
    that sounds like a definite great deal, especially since youve played it and liked it
    pull the trigger! :)

12. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    IMO if it is mint, with a mint case and alll the case candy, that is a fair price. Not a steal for resale, but a good price if you plan to keep it.

13. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    I see them quite regularly for that or less on CL.

14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Suzi Quattro is hot.

15. J-Building

J-Building

Jan 1, 2009
    You sir, are quite fortunate. I rarely see MIA 4 strings going for less than $800.

16. Mike19

Mike19

Aug 11, 2009
    Tallahassee, Fla
    But, she currently plays a P Bass, not a J.

In Sep 2009 I sent an e-mail message to Suzi on MySpace asking what her favorite bass was. Her reply: “What I started with . . . a Fender P.”

clip_image002.jpg

17. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I see people ASKING that, but that's not the same as GETTING it.

That's a ridiculous price to pay. People here on CL are out of their freaking minds...they always ask more for beat used stuff than I paid for it new on sale. They don't get it, either. They all bought the stuff a couple of years back when they made money and paid sucker retail for it, and now they're broke and trying to save themselves on the back end of the deal and they can't. So they get mad if you offer a real price and they wind up keeping it and starving.

For an '07 "American" series in that color (which is a poor seller), $600 in real money for a near mint example (note fretwear, etc.) is a fair deal for both parties, and I personally would not go that high.

18. J-Building

J-Building

Jan 1, 2009
    Yeah I see what you're saying. I'll always try to knock off at least $50, even if it's a good price already. I wouldn't know much about haggling for MIA Fenders, since I'm already happy with my Big Block (yes I actually liked it!:eek:) and am only looking for 6 stringers at this point.

19. Osprey

Osprey

Jun 20, 2005
    UK
    I think this is is the key bit of the question. If you mean by that what I mean by that, and if you plan to play it not just look at it and move it on in a while, then paying 50 or 100 dollars or quid over or under an average price couldn't matter less.

20. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    I totally love your "Gear List"!!!! Nicely played!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021