1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by evilmutantducks, May 13, 2011.

1. I'm looking into buying an upright bass. I've done a little research on my own about some basses and apparently this kind is good for bluegrass, which is what I would mostly be playing. What does everyone else think?

Engelhardt Upright Double Bass.

2. You won't know what you're buying until you play it. I'd suggest taking a trip out to play it first before you buy it.

3. Englehardts are ehhh imo. They have VERY thin necks in my experience, which causes (my) the hands to hurt.

4. There's nothing particularly wrong with a well set up Engelhardt, which from the ad copy this bass APPEARS to be. That being said, there's nothing particularly right about them either.

Who is guaranteeing that the repairs of the vaguely referenced shipping damage is going to hold?

5. Yeah well I certainly would never purchase an instrument without playing it, that's just madness!

I'm just trying to get an idea, as far as price is concerned, whether or not this is a good deal. Obviously I could get a much nicer bass if I had the money. The "slight shipping" damage is certainly concerning. But assuming all is well with the instrument, structure and otherwise would this be a good option for somebody who is still on the fence about wanting to purchase an upright?

6. punkozuna

punkozuna

Mar 19, 2011
    Irrigon, Oregon
    New Englehardt EM-1s and EC-1s are $1100-1150 from Gollihur or Fretwell for comparison purposes.

FWIW - the "German made tuners" look like the tuners on my 2003 ES-9. I don't think the ones on the bass are upgraded.

Engelhardts do have thin necks - some people like that, others find it can contribute to hand cramps. OTOH, some people hate the fatter necks on other basses. You won't know till you try.

7. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    With regard to the thin neck profile, BEWARE. You might not know even after you try it. Many newbie and BG-convert players find thin necks to be comfortable at the outset. Then, reality hits. For many players, as pointed out here, those skinny necks lead to left-hand fatigue because they inhibit maintenance of the left-hand claw and proper spacing of the fingers. Try this out-- fold your left hand about half way down and stretch your fingers apart as far as you can. Now, fold your hand down further and try to maintain that finger spacing. It can't be done. It's just a matter of the mechanics of the hand.

8. Rob Thompson

Rob Thompson Supporting Member

Bass technique in a few words. :p

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I'm with DRURB. Although Engelhardts are reasonably well made, I've never played one (and I've played LOTS of 'em) that just really sounded good. And the thin neck... that's a huge deal-breaker for me. YMMV.

10. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Indeed. I didn't even start in with the sound, let alone the low overstand and flat fingerboard projection. :)

11. Alright so I met up with the guy to check this puppy out.

Basically the reason its so cheap is because the bass had some cosmetic damage on two of its sides, very minor, but enough that it couldn't be sold new in a store. He told me that Engelhardt stripped everything off the bass, tuning pegs, bridge, basically anything salvageable and then just sold the body, which he got really cheap.

The thin neck really didn't bother me, I played on a couple basses, and I didn't have a preference between either size neck.

He also said that he would drop the price to $800. I didn't get a skeezbag feeling from him. He restores basses as a hobby, not a career. All in all though, I don't think that I'm going to be able to find a better deal for the same type of bass.

For somebody who has is new to upright I've been told this is a good starting bass. What ya'll think of that?

12. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Probably fine for bluegrass, if you have more $$$ to spend, I'd get something else.

13. IMHO if the thin neck isn't a problem for you, alot of people play them. I've played one years ago and liked it alot, and the lowered price sure sounds reasonable

14. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Forewarned is forearmed. :)