Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by FunkySpoo, May 12, 2003.

1. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
  2. I've not seen enough Epiphone basses to make a definitive conclusion, but I would say they are roughly in the same category as a Kay of similar age. However, I looked at the ad from the link you provided and noticed this statement.Professional repairs have been made to the heel and headstock. "Professional repairs" can mean just about anything. Unless you could play the bass and take it to another reputable bass luthier for opinion, I wouldn't touch it. Replacing a broken neck can be quite expensive.

3. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Yeah that part worries me too. I e-mailed them to see if there is a trial period so I can take it to my local shop. I wonder what they'll say:meh:

4. Luthier Arnold Schnitzer, who posts here, has an Epiphone for sale on his Web site.

You might try hitting him up for some info on the general quality.

5. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    I saw that. I'm actually interested in Arnolds plywood Cleveland model and his new Lascala model. But if this Epi is a good deal then I might jump on it. If I can get a trial period with it.

6. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    EBAY is a seller's market, not a buyer's. If you can't try it out, risk-free, don't go any further...

7. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    I'm with ya nick. I'm waiting to hear from them to see if they'll give me a trial period so I can take it to my local shop and see what they think of it. I tried to find some info on vintage Epiphone basses and came up dry. I found lots of info on old Kays. Does anyone have some links they could share? Or better yet does anyone have some first hand knowledge of these old Epi basses:help:

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I had an old Epi for awhile. It had a very fast, low action, not much volume, and the heel had cracked and been repaired.

If I were seriously looking at lam basses, my first stop would be at Arnold's, to give the New Standard basses a shot.

9. Celarier

Celarier

Sep 5, 2002
    Washington, DC
    I have owned a 1950's Epiphone B-4 for about a year. It sounds great to me and plays quite well. I will refer you to look up information on Epiphones on this forum under Newbies thread. It contains answers to the same sorts of questions I had last year about the Epiphone and other makes and models. Was not convinced of anyting 'till I played it though. In fact, I recommend reading all of the Newbie stuff. I still do.
    Good luck.

Epiphone Plywood Basses

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showt...&threadid=58513

10. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Thanks for the info guys. I did a search and found the link that discribes the various Epi models. I also just called the store. It turns out to be a B4 model and they said they would give me some time so that my local shop can check it out. He also said that the repair done to the heel of the neck was done by them 15 years ago. And since I'm in the D.C area they would be willing to meet me half way if I wanted to buy it. It's been owned by a local guy and the shop has done all the set up on it for the past 20 years. Does this sound reasonable?

11. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Yeah I completly agree. If this turns out to be a dog then I'll just save my pennies and get one of Arnolds New Standards. He has a new model coming out called the Lascala with with a more sloped shoulder. Can't wait to see that.

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Rick, are you aware of Weavers Violin's ? It's on Georgia ave. Ten yrs ago or so they hooked me up with a very nice laminated bass.

13. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Yeah I talked to Bill at Weavers and he said I should talk to Dalton Potter at Potters Violins since weavers no longer deals with basses. Dalton said he would check out any bass I brought to him. He also suggested I look at the Eastman basses since the distributor is in Clarksburg. That's like 15 minutes from my house. He said I could go there and try out a few basses then have the one I like shipped to him and he would set it up. But the Eastmans are around 3000 clams and this old Epi is only 1800.

14. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Oh one more thing. They said they would take some close up pics of the repaired area and e-mail them to me. I'll post them when I get them. Thanks everyone for being so helpful.

15. If they are willing to meet you halfway, send you pics in advance, and give you time to examine it, sounds to me like they are trying to deliver good customer service.
    The real question will be what does it sound like, and you can try that out when they meet you. Remember most playability problems can be handled by a good set up, and some tone adjustments can be handled by string type and set up. If I found a good deal on an Epi, I would play it just because it's not a Kay.

Just my .02

Blessings

Keith

16. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Well I just talked to my local luthier. He said he'd take a look at it for free. So I think I'm going to go for it. As long as it checks out ok. When I go pick it up, what are some obviouse signs that its too far gone? Deformed top? loose parts? :help:

17. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    Luthier knows best...

18. Celarier

Celarier

Sep 5, 2002
    Washington, DC
    What di the Luthier say?
    Hope you got it, as I'm in Wash, DC proper and would like to believe there is another B-4 still in the area?
    Wanted to know which strings on instrumnet push most sound?

19. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    I haven't gotten it yet. They are trying to get me some more pictures of the repaired area of the neck. They're having a little trouble. Also I've been to busy to make the trip to WVA. to see it. Maybe soon