Is this a good first pedal?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Christian12, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Christian12

Christian12

Mar 20, 2015
    I really want to buy a pedal, a compressor, i'd like one under 50, just to test waters, and I do not have much money. Thanks for feedback! upload_2015-12-14_21-33-15.png

2. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    Without considering price or quality, you would want to know what the purpose of the unit will be, if your goal is to have some eq, and some sustain, that's what that unit will do. If your goal is to have signal leveling (a bit more even volume, regardless of how you play), a bit of fat in the signal, and a transparent, fairly noise free signal, that unit won't do. But, to be fair, in this case, the second choice is a different goal, that you will not get at that price point, from any brand. The second choice is more expensive, more subtle, and the goal of most bass players using a compressor. That's why many are willing to pay 10 times or more than that for a compressor, though it can be had for a bit less, with some compromise....... I dont' use one, but my sound man uses an expensive rack mount unit on my signal, that's the signal people hear most when I play. (none of what I do really matters, as far as your question)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  3. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    Check out Compressor Reviews for compressor reviews. This guy is a TB user and is very knowledgeable.

Edit: Just noticed that Ovni Labs was changed to "Compressor Reviews" automatically.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
    s0c9 and Growlmonkee like this.
  4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Look for a low costs Computer interface, a "Guitar Link" cable, use ASIO4ALL for low latency and try out software versions of compressors. If it's what you want and are thinking of you can always go out and buy the hardware version. Everybody needs to be a little computer smarts and this is a valuable way to get started.

5. Christian12

Christian12

Mar 20, 2015
    Thanks for the feedback, i'd like something that will help improve my slap bass tone, attack and output volumes. Any recommendations? under 50 dollars plz.

6. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    I think under $50 is going to be tough, but keep shopping used pedals on the classifieds here.

7. jasmangan

jasmangan

Jul 13, 2008
    I think any pedal is a good first pedal

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Practice, practice, practice :)

9. Christian12

Christian12

Mar 20, 2015
    My technique is okay, but pedals can make it sound even better!

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021