1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this a good fretless? GWB1?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NateMan, Apr 29, 2009.

1. NateMan

NateMan

Jul 17, 2008
    Palm Coast FL
    I wanted a good fretless and found a used 5 stringer for sale. I'm going to pick it up tommorrow I think... I was told its a Gary Willis GWB1. I did some research on the web and found the cheaper GWB35 for about $700 new then there is the GWB1005 for $3K wow! I cant find any GWB1 new. Is this guy in between somewhere? I think it's discontinued. Maybe it's not worth much but the guy selling says its an excellent bass.

What do you guys think? What should I pay if in excellent condition?

-NateMan

2. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    Gary Willis personally told me (for what it's worth) that his fretless basses are the best on the market. The main two models are identical except for cheaper components on the lower model.

He actually owns and plays both of them. Everytime I've seen him play he was playing one or the other.

And he also said the ones he play are right off the production line, not a special custom model.

The GB1005 is made in Japan (iirc) and Gary says it's a perfect bass. And I know he is very, very meticulus about his basses and setups.

Gary is a great guy and I believe what he says. I don't play fretless, but if I did I would play one of his models...

3. trowaclown

trowaclown

Feb 26, 2008
    My main bass' the GWB1. Good stuff. It has an ebony fingerboard instead of the newer one's ebanol board. It's the 1005's predecessor.