Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is this a good guitar amp??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lo-end, Jan 9, 2002.

1. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Hey guys... I was hoping some of you would know about this guitar gear. My friend was looking for a new guitar rig, and he is thinking about bidding on this Fender Roc Pro head and cabinet. It looks ok, since its the traditional head + 4x12 configuration, and it's got to have a great clean tone since its from fender right?

Im sure its no twin reverb amp, but can you guys tell me anything about the Fender roc pro stuff? Mainly whether or not to stay away from buying it? :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1500259077

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    dunno i mean for what he/she is askin its a pretty good deal. I'm not a big fan of fender stuff and especially that setup, cuz its the lower end of their amps. Don't expect to get a marshall or mesa tone out of it. If sound is what your after or u play with alot of pedals i'd say go for it.

3. Its solid state... maybe with me for guitar amps to sound good... distorted anyways... you gotta have tubes... although its got a 12ax7 in there for distortion, i dont believe it will do the job quite like a true tube amp.

Look into the Fender Blues Deville 2x12 used. You could find one for aroudn the same price as that one, and you'll have much MUCH better tone, and just about the same volume.

4. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    I agree with Muttluk. The Blues Deville is a great amp. The clean is amazing and LOUD. The distortion is a little lacking if you play metal or even rock, so either a tubescreamer or a seperate high end distortion pedal would be recommended.

5. In my experience anything solid-state by Fender sucks arse.

For guitars, unless you're a clean-o jazz monster (and then the Roland 2x12 combos are the t!t$), all-tube is the only way to do.

There's no way a Roc Pro would compete (tone-wise) with an all-tube counterpart.