1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this a good idea? Mesa M2000 for 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jimmyjam, Mar 20, 2009.

1. I'm hoping all you gearheads might be able to offer some advice.
    I'm thinking about trading in my Mesa M2000 head on a mesa 400+.
    I'm not really using the two channels much these days, but I'm concerned about the lack of a compressor in the 400+.
    Anyone reckon I'll miss it?
    Has anybody owned both these amps?
    I can't afford to keep both...

2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I've never owned either but I wouldn't be overly concerned about the lack of a compressor on an all tube amp unless I really liked to squeeze the sound a lot; the tubes should give it a fair amount of natural compression. I never needed it with my all tube SVT (which I sold due to it's weight).

3. The M2000 (killer head... I gigged one for a while) is much closer in tone to other hybrid heads than it is to the 400+. That would be a very big change for you, both in tone and size/weight. I would definitely try the 400+ first, and also pick it up and carry it around a bit before deciding. I'm not kidding!

Both are great pieces of gear for their design goals, but are very different in feel and tone.