1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this a good idea or not?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Daniel Douglass, Oct 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Daniel Douglass

Daniel Douglass

Oct 11, 2017
    Hi I have been playing around with grip tape plecs for awhile now and have it at a point where I am pretty happy with it for me personally but I am wondering if people think it would sell? Or is it just crap and only me who would use it? My plecs were always turning round in my fingers so hence why I have made this.

I know there are things similar but I can do endless designs this way.

I am looking for honest so don’t worry if you want to slate it.

It would be sold as stickers that are cut to shape and sit inside the edge of the plec.

709628FC-88C8-407D-BC6F-4B24E624C40E.

Attached Files:

steelbed45, REMBO, Spectrum and 13 others like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I like grippy picks. Good idea.

3. Chico Ruger

Chico Ruger Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Florida
    Methinks it is a decent idea, but it would be difficult to make money with it as it is a low-cost item in saturated market.

4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    The concept is sound, but it may not make dollars and sense.

You need to create a cost model. Billing your own time at $30-50/hour figure out your investment to produce, package and ship a dozen of these guys. If you are over $3-4 per set I would consider it a non starter.

spaz21387 and Daniel Douglass like this.
  5. Daniel Douglass

Daniel Douglass

Oct 11, 2017
    Basically I can make them for free where I work. That is the main reason doing it.

Stumbo likes this.
  6. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    I hope I'm misinterpreting this:

You're getting the materials to create these from your employer's stock?

You're doing the labor during the time that your employer has hired you to do work for them?

If so, I hope you didn't post this from their company network.

7. Daniel Douglass

Daniel Douglass

Oct 11, 2017
    I am the employer :thumbsup:

Plectrum72, spaz21387, mpdd and 11 others like this.
  8. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Then it isn't free, is it? :whistle:

9. Daniel Douglass

Daniel Douglass

Oct 11, 2017
    The size they are going to be they can be added on to the scrap/spare material in other jobs.

Basically the costing all work out and I know I can make a profit, it is just seeing if people would buy them now

10. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    I'm willing to bet the majority of bass players use their fingers, so this is probably the wrong site to ask.
    Guitar players would probably have plenty of opinions about it.

madjazzbass, pcake, Giffro and 3 others like this.
  11. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    How about reaching out to @SLaPiNFuNK to see if he is interested in doing a test marketing campaign?

12. Daniel Douglass

Daniel Douglass

Oct 11, 2017
    Very very good point, thank you

13. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I think there's plenty of bass players that use picks even occasionally.
    I like this idea...currently I use fairly heavy felt picks and a leather one...so I'm open to trying out anything!

Just to clarify...are you producing just the tape sticker...or a finished product including the pick?

14. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Seems like a good idea to me. That's how capitalism works, anyway; find a need - however large or small - and fill it...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

15. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Picks come in a wide variety of dimensions. Would these only fit well on one size of pick? Or would it just be a chunk o' tape that has to be trimmed to fit?

16. stigbeve

stigbeve

Sep 24, 2014
    Looks like Ibanez already made something similar, Grip Wizard. Checked a couple sites and they are no longer available though.

17. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Just thinking out loud here..
    When gigging I use a pick about 60% of the time. I can sweat a lot, so over the years I've dropped a few picks (which is why I switched to the Clayton Acetal .80 rounded triangle).
    When playing fingerstyle, I'll slip the pick in my back pocket.
    If I were to put a grip-taped pick back there, how easy would it be to retrieve? Would the grip-tape make retrieval difficult?

18. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
  19. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    years ago I saw Steve Morse do a guitar clinic. I was intrigued by how he holds his pick - between thumb and middle finger, with the index finger resting on the top edge of the pick. The guitar-playing friend that I was with called it the 'speed picking' grip (apparently common among a certain group of guitar players). Well, I tried it and after the initial weirdness found it feels very natural. Nothing to do with speed picking in my case, more about total pick control. Ever since switching to that style grip I've never dropped a pick or had it rotate on me while playing. So I no longer worry about a pick's grippiness and would not be a candidate to use your tape.

Pretty sure I'm in the minority among pick wielding bass players though... if you can find a clever / low cost way to package and distribute there might be a market for it. For example, a lot of online music retailers throw a couple picks in with every order (with their logo screened on the picks). You might be able to get into custom branded deals like that, which would allow you to sell in volume for low startup, packaging and distribution costs.

Giffro and wintremute like this.
  20. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    I could kickflip that pick

spaz21387, Spirit of Ox and MattZilla like this.