Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this a good idea? SansAmp + Power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fawkes007, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Thinking about doing something that might seem unusual for an amp set up...a SansAmp BddI and a power amp.

What do you think? Has anyone tried this?

2. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    With the rack mount units, I think it's a fairly common practice. Not so much if it's the floor unit, but I'm sure it would work just fine. They're both preamps.

3. Just make sure you get one of the newer models with the switch allowing +4db output.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

+1

5. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I was actually thinking of the new pedal with the three preset capability so I can change tones on the fly. I am getting a Roscoe soon with a Demeter pre and I am thinking most of my tone shaping will come from the bass itself.

6. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Technically it would work, I have done it myself. But personally I find the eq of the bddi to be lacking. I think the rackmount with the dedicated mid makes a world of difference.

But I just glanced at your last post about using your bass for tone shaping and will add- try it & see for yourself. Buy one from a place like guitar center that has a liberal return policy & give it a workout

7. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I tried it with the floor box, and found it didn't have enough of a signal to push the amp.

8. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    I've found the floor model doesn't have the gain to drive a poweramp either. I use the rackmount RBI, and was really looking forward to the "TRI-AC" style pedal dedicated for bass. Hopefully they'll add the +4 for this unit as well. Kind of a bummer actually.

9. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    I've thought about something like this as the ultimate small rig. The SA800 with a decent pedal-sized preamp would be great for portability. Although I'm not sure the BDDI is good enough tonally, I'd like to see something else released with +4dB output. Maybe the Sadowsky?

10. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I have the RBI and the BDDI. I used the BDDI last week with my power amp and it worked great. Mine is the newer version with the boost switch. I think if I had to choose between the two I'd choose the RBI. But really can't go wrong either way. But to answer your question, YES I have tried it and it does work.

11. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I've got the new floor model and I found it lacking to drive a power amp. It will drive it but output suffers considerably.

12. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Pick up a small cheap mixer, (Rolls, Behringer, Alesis, Yamaha, ..) to go along with it. These will easily drive any power amp.