Is this a good idea

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bardolph, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I own a gallien krueger backline 115 combo amp and it's pretty good for my playing situation but sometimes when I know I'll be playing at loud volumes like in a rock band it's not quite enough juice. Could I buy a cabinet, say a 4x10 or something, and just run the head right into that to give myself more power?
  2. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    By the way my amp is a 1x15 125w at 8 ohms
  3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Yes, you could buy a 4x10 cab and run it through, using the 1x15 aswell.

As for OHMS, dont ask me, i dont understand it :meh:
  4. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Of course it will change the output. However, the actual cab will decide how much extra you get. Meaning that one 4x10 will give a lot of output, while another will hardly enhance anything at all.

You'll just have to try out. You may end up with adding a 1x12 or 2x10 - or even a 1x10! - because that cab you find adds exactly what you want!

You'll probably need an 8 ohm cab - check with the manual of the GK, I suppose it will survive 4 ohms load (=2x8 ohms!).
  5. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    If I'm not mistaken, I don't think I could use both the 15 in there and another cabinet, because the head is 8 ohm minimum and the driver is 8 ohms, and if I use another cabinet along with the 8 ohm driver it won't be enough ohms for the head and it could get damaged. My question is would it be efficient to use only a seperate cabinet and not use the 15 at all?
  6. can you give us your cabinet/combo specs? I'd like to know what your actually using to see if it is possibly.