Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is this a good idea?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by slickhare, Mar 10, 2006.

1. slickhare

slickhare

Feb 2, 2005
    so i'm at a point in my low end life where i don't have time to get a teacher. so im trying to advance my knowledge of music because i have the mechanics. but other things just keep getting in the way and i don't have time to sit down and study the theory. so i was thinking about trying to play songs by ear as i learn tne fretboard to break into things. do you think it's a good idea to try this without any musical knowledge just to "feel" the bass more instead of just playing it?

2. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Learning lines by ear is a good way to learn to play music.

HOWEVER having a GOOD teacher will keep you from developing bad habits physically (technique). It's way harder to break a bad habit (unlearn) than it is to learn the correct method right off. This from the king of bad habits!

Also a good teacher could show you some basic fundamental ideas that might take you awhile to learn/realize on your own. This will save alot of time.

For learning theory and stuff like that there is always the library or take a community college class.

Also play with knowledgable players. They can show you a lot of stuff and you can have a blast while learning! Try to find and play with ppl better than you!

3. You don't have time for a 30 minute lesson? I think you may mean you don't have time to practice for lessons every week. Well, you don't necessarily have to if you find a technique-solid enough teacher who can break stuff down. That way, just thinking about the technique would make you a better player. A good thing to do is to take lessons for 2 - 4 months at a time and develop from there. Where you are ready for more get more lessons.

4. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Playing by ear is a great way to develop but I agree you also can develop bad habits which will ultimately frustrate you and prevent you from nailing complex lines. I have found that a lesson now and then or a few in a row and walk away and dig in. It is never a all teacher no teacher situation.

Good luck

5. slickhare

slickhare

Feb 2, 2005
    yeah pretty much. i get up a 5 in the morn every day for school get home around 5 pm if i'm lucky. then it's oodles of homework for the rest of the night. weekends are usually studying for upcoming tests and doing projects. somehow i've found time to get where i've gotten but i wanna take it to the next level. so until the summer getting a teacher would be difficult.

6. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Learning by ear is good to a point. A well trained ear comes in handy. But, you're only "getting" part of the story. Theory opens doors that would otherwise remain closed.