1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this a good idea?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass_Machine, May 7, 2006.

1. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    Hiya guys, I was needing some help and I know that the amps section of talkbass is the place to go!
    Ok, so I was speaking amps with the guitarist in my band (who also happens to be a bit of an electronic whizz kid) the other day, and he suggested I mod my current amp setup to allow for cab extensions/different heads.

At the moment, I'm running a Fender Rumble 100 combo. My guitarist suggested that I (with his help, duh) modified the workings, so that the head and speaker parts of my combo run seperately. By this, I mean fiddle around so that we install an input jack so I can have output from the head, and another jack for the speaker input. Usually, I'd have a cable running between the two so that the combo works as per normal, but if I wanted to, I could always use this to attach a different head/cab; and even maybe extend my rig.

Is this a good idea? I'm confident that between us, we have the skills (guitarist already did it with an old fender amp of his) to follow through with the "operation" and do it cleanly. I'm just worried that it might not work. Is what I'm describing possible/safe? It would be quite awesome....:D I'm sure this forum has the answer.;)

Thanks for the help guys.

2. Technichally there is no problem in splitting a combo into its amp and speaker components. However, the downside is that an amplifier that is not designed to be plugged and unplugged may not have built-in short circuit protection, so it could be moe fragile than a stand alone head.

3. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    This mod works fine, but It will void your waranty,(if any).

Your solid state combo is rated, 100w @4 ohms minimum, and came with a 4-ohm speaker.
    A 4-ohm cab would be the best to use for this situation.
    If you plug this amp into a 8-ohm cab, your total output will be reduced by 25% or more, but this will work.

Dont let him hook up other speakers, in combination with your combos speaker.
    If you go below 4-ohms, you could and probably would damage your combos amp section.
    Check the T/B ohms sticky and proceed with caution....:eek:

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Perfectly fine as long as you don't run it below 4 Ohms (the rated impedance of the head).