is this a good idea?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cort45, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Cort45

Mar 1, 2002
    US, TX, Austin
    if i bought a body and neck from warmoth (about $170 each), a nut, bridge, some fender pickups and all that other stuff and put it all together, do you think i would end up with a very nice bass? Also, i dont know too much about the inner working of a bass so could this be a bit too complicated for me? Just wondering cus i was looking at warmoths site and the prices for bodies and necks are alot cheaper than i thought they would be and thinking of maybe doing somthing like this. what do you think?
  2. There are already a couple Warmoth threads, but Warmoth is very high quality. I thought about going that route for my next bass, but once you add up all the fees, it goes out of my price range.

Anyhow, assembling a bass isn't that difficult. If you aren't very good at soldering, you might run into a problem there. Other than that, all you are really doing is bolting the neck to the body, shimming it if neccessary, screwing on the bridge and tuners. You can download wiring diagrams from StewMac for the electronics. I've taken my basses apart and put them back together again without problems. It also helps you understand the inner workings of your instrument, and makes it that much easier to troubleshoot future problems.

It's not hard to do, but you might need some fine tuning by a tech if you don't have much experience setting up your bass.
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Warmoth parts are of excellent quality and when it was all said and done, yes, you would have a nice bass.

But, I wouldn't pay their price for a body and then do the finish work myself. If they do the finish, it is expensive.

Warmoth's are great, but you should build one for the experience of it and no other reason. If you are looking to save some cash, I assure you, you will not.