Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this a good idea?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Symphony X, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Symphony X

Symphony X Guest

Oct 28, 2002
    Okay here's the plan, I've realized as good as my 5 string tone (ESP F205) is, I have found myself constantly returning to my 4 string not cuz of the lack of tone from my ESP, but it's just flat out more... Fun to play.

On my 5 string I have to concentrate to play more and on my 4 I can just cut loose. Not to mention it sounds better than my ESP on certain tunes (Iron Maiden and some Metallica due to P and J combo). Now what I was thinking is when I get my tax return in January is to sell both basses (5 string for $400, I bought it for $525 at a list of $749, my 4 string for $225, I bought it for $350) and combine my tax return (probably about $200 dollars MINIMUM probably more) and go out and buy a HIGH end 4 string (after testing them of course).

Now I would like 2 things:

Suggestions on what basses I could spend $825-$1000 on and if it is a good idea in the first place. I mean your supposed to be able to have fun and cut loose on bass, not be held back by 100% concentration. With a 4 string I feel the groove :)

This time I WILL TRY THE INSTRUMENT OUT BEFORE I BUY IT :)

2. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    Do what feels good to you man, dont rule out the option of a five altogether yet though, play every bass you can get your hands one, 4 or 5. then pick the one that feels like home.

I would recomend an Ernie Ball in that price range.:)

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    your selling prices may be a bit high... but if you get that much, congrats..

Anyway.. if you want to get a decent bass for around 7 or $800.. I suggest a fender jazz or a used Stingray or sterling

4. Symphony X

Symphony X Guest

Oct 28, 2002
    True, I shouldn't rule the 5 string out or even 6 if it feels great, which I won't. It's just on my ESP I have to focus or my hands just won't work with me. I think I can get the amounts I ask for because I keep my basses in great shape and there is like practically NO damage on either of them.. (ONE small bump on my blue jackson on the bottom of it that you have to look hard to see).

5. If you have to concentrate harder while you're playing 5-string, you haven't practiced enough. Clean up whatever aspects of your technique are more difficult on 5-string (muting is a biggie) and you'll find that it's just as easy as--if not easier than--playing a 4-string.

Spend some time in the woodshed before you spend more cash.

6. I'll add Spector to the mix of oprions.

7. I'll add Spector to the mix of options.