Is this a good price for a Yamaha TRB-6P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by noelpaz, May 11, 2005.

1. First of all glad to be back. I still remember the heavy posters and they are still around. Cool!

Our local music store had a Yamaha TRB-6P with an asking price of 900 and I paid 650 + tax (44) . The finish is not mint but there are no dents or gouges or chips. The frets are not worn down though you can see the string marks. It is orange color, neck through design with Piezo and the pickups Yamaha logo is a bit faded. So maybe conservatively it is a 7.5 out of 10. I thought it was a good deal but noticed that the price in the ebay market is about that if not lower - mostly lower.

I guess 6 stringers are not just popular and don't fetch a good price in the used market even if their street price was 1600 - 1800.

What would a bass like this go for in your area?

Do I like it -- mixed feelings and I hope I am not influenced by the cash out lay and being bummed out that it was not such a good deal. I do like the piezo and tend to play it with piezo only.
  2. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    I think it is a great bass. You know, here in Turkey its the next big thing. And its very expensive. Used 1300-1400€. something like that. so it is a good price. don't be sorry for the price you got it, or don't dislike the bass by its low (kinda) price.

just check it out in an objective matter thats all. and you can very probably sell it for what you paid.

3. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    The TRB6P is my main six string. I LOVE that bass. I think you got a very good deal on it. Retail price new was $3099 and this years Orion Blue Book has a used value of $1339. Obviously, price is dependant on where you're located, but around here it's not odd to see them used for at least $1200.
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Good price. I haven't seen one used for less than a grand, and not even with the piezo's . . .
  5. Okay -- I guess I feel better. This week I iwent from 1 bass to 3. I got my old upright back and saw this TRB and I always wanted to have a 6 string. Although I really I felt really lucky to get my upright back after I sold it to my friend 12 years ago, the cash outlay was tremendous but the appraisal for my upright bass was very good. The bridge repair was almost 300 - oh well And Thomastiks strings for that is more again another hundred or so. In the back of my mind - I wanted to sell it back on ebay and was surprised that TRB's are not selling as expected. I have to sell it for 800 or more just to get my 694 back if you tack on ebay comission and paypal charges. The most recent TRB 6 sold for 570 but then again it did not have a piezo and was a bolt on.

I am liking it and I can play better chord extensions. I have medium small hands but because of mu upright experience it was easy to adjust. The vertical movment from B to C string is a challenge past the 12th fret