Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

is this a good rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by benjamintowle, May 15, 2001.

1. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    ok preamp a carvin 1000 watt power amp and a 2x10 and a 2x15 or maybe be 4x10 an a 1x18 still deciding is that carvin power amp good for gigs i for get what the name is .but its 1000 watts

2. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    well, unless you're going for a vintage 60's/70's tone, you won't need more than 1-15" speaker. I think the classic "modern" stack setup is a 4-10" cab and a 1-15" cab.

3. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Assuming the cabinets, and the preamp are halfway decent, it would be a great rig. The DCM1000 should be enough to power even inefficient cabs to usable volumes. Just be careful you don't overpower the cabs. Noticed improvement in the readability of your bejamin, keep it up

4. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    thank you very much .yes i got a better keyboard. ok i play funk ,jazz and what ever you want to call primus. i know iam getting the the DCM1000.and i buying the 4x10 from http://www.speakerhole.com and i not srue what to get a 2x15 a 1x18 or a 1x15. al lso when i get more money from my job this summer when i not in school i be puting better speakers i them .the reason i mention the 2x15 i have two carvin 15s.al soo woun more speakers mover more air wich be loder .my drummer like beats the ****e out of his drums.o yah the cab are rated at 300 watts 8 ohms the 1x15 and 1x18 the 2x15 is 600 4 ohms .the 4x10 800 watts rms and 1600 peak 8 ohms mono . will i blow the cabs .get it all .

5. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Ya should be just fine if you don't bridge the amp.

6. I'm just curious, what gigs are you playing where you need that kind of rig? That's a huge amp set-up even for bigger clubs.

7. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    like i need that set up trust me i play alot out side gigs and stuff pluse i dunk cank it cause like i want it nice and clean do you think i should get the dcm 600 instead of the dcm 1000

8. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Erm dunk cank? I say ya might as well go for the DCM1000 if your gonna go that route, better dollar per watt value.

9. i dunk cank it too and bu doing that i dont have to make sense of what i say and i dont have to make real big people sentenses

10. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    C'mon lads, let's not be picking holes in Benjamin's grammar again...

11. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    ok give break to d ki his lready ben trou tis many bfor k. bu real wots dunk cank ya los me widdat one?

12. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    just to let you know i was drinking when i wrote the second meassage like some on elike gave me a roung drink. well what would be better dcm100 or dcm600

13. Damn, if i was drunk i could understand that. Where is my JD? (that's my dunk cank )

14. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    ok whats better dcm1000 or the dcm600 for the buck and in the long run

15. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    DCM1000 for sure, 50 bux for 400 extra watts? No competition.

16. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yeah...that's pretty much my goal rig,

i've got an SWR 2x10 and a triad (15" + 10" + horn)

i'm going to be getting a DCM1000

and to start i'll use the preamp from my bass 350, but eventually i'll get an swr interstellar overdrive for a preamp i think.

that will be the biz...

and i HIGHLY recommend the 2x10 + triad combo. it packs the same punch as your standard 4x10 + 15 rig but it's a LOT easier to lug around. and you can use either one seperately for any size gig. the 2x10 by itself is great for really small places or if you don't have alot of room in your car, and the triad sounds awesome in a small package.

jason

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    i dunk cank a dunk cank word you said.

18. like whatshisname said, the dcm1000 is much more watt for dollar. plus you wont have to worry about a bigger amp later. and get the 15. i think 18s are too uh..boomy.

man...how old are you? 14? 15? and you get to drink? i heard that aint legal

19. xHarperx

xHarperx

May 8, 2001
    Yo!! get as much power as you can u can always just turn it down!!! and besides you should be able to hear bass more than anything else in the band!!

20. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    Yes, it is against the law for me to get drunk, and I don't really often - only with my dad, like I just get buzzed off one beer and fall asleep. I'm 15, and that day I was drunk. Someone gave me a drink and I didn't know what it was. So, this is my set up preamp?? dcm1000 2x10 and 1x15 or 1x18 like I am going to check in to this.