Is this a good setup for bass? I just bought it..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jappy, Nov 27, 2002.

1. jappy

Nov 22, 2002
    Okay, i'm decent at guitar and i can play bass I wanted something like a half-stack so its more versatile and can play both through it with both sounding good. I was on a budget of about $400 so I couldn't afford much. Heres what I got:

A Randall solidstate two channel 150wt head off ebay for $150

and then I bought a Behringer 4x12 cabinet with 400w handling and Jensen speakers

My question is..will this sound good with bass too? Will it still be like equally loud and such?

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The only way I could imagine you playing both through one rig is to get a full range speaker cab and power amp, and then get a bass Pod and guitar Pod.

Otherwise you are asking for trouble and bad sound.

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Generally speaking a bass will not sound too good through a guitar speaker. Could work for practicing purposes, but not for gigging. I think you'd have more chance the other way around - a bass amp/cab can handle a guitar, you'd just need to add some pedals for distortion and reverb. Or use a PA type rig like Nick said.
  4. jappy

Nov 22, 2002
    oh well i guess i'll risk it :( it's already bought
  5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Be warned!

Its not just a bad sound issue, but the lower bass frequencies can definetly cause massive dammage to guitar amplification, ESPECIALLY SPEAKERS!!!!!!

6. jappy

Nov 22, 2002
    I dont understand how though..because I just saw some 4x12 bass cabs not too long ago. Doesn't aguilar make a 4x12 upright?
  7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im not saying its a specific issue with the speakers size, but its the speakers design.

Bass speakers are designed and built to be very different than guitar speakers.

For one, Bass speakers are made to handle much more power.

Check out the specs on some cabs for proof.

That cab you bought handles about 400 Watts, while my Eden 210 XST handles 450 Watts and it only has two speakers, which are smaller.

There is alot more to it, but unfortunately Im kinda tired now, and im sure someone else would be better at explaining this to you than I could.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Bass speakers generally will have more excursion to produce the bass frequencies. Like more than half an inch. Put heavy lows at moderate to high volume into short-excursion guitar speakers, and BOOM!
  9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    And the wisest of the wise men has spoken....;)

10. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    No...This Is!
  11. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Speakers aren't just speakers. amps aren't just amps..

bought a guitar rig. The amp and cab were specifically designed for handling the higher frequences of guitar..

now at low volumes you will be able to play your bass through it, however i doubt you will get the tone you are looking for out of this rig... I would suggest selling that rig and getting something else
  12. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Dont do it!:eek: Get a bass rig for bass and use your Randall for guitar. Or a DI for bass if you have a high end PA.
  13. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It probably won't hurt the head at all, but 150 watts isn't that much and all the EQ shelfing is designed for guitar. It'll be tough to get a decent tone.

If you simply HAD to have a cabinet that you could play both guitar and bass through, I would strongly suggest buying a bass cabinet and playing guitar through it.

I have used my bass amps as acoustic guitar amps for years and they work great.

It's your money, but if you play bass through that guitar cabinet at any volume at all for any length of time, I assure you, it will destroy it.

When it is new, it will simply sound bad. As the bass playing begins to take a toll, you won't be able to get a clean sound at all from the cabinet, and finally, it simply won't work.

One word of advise, when you don't get the bass responses out of the cabinet that you want, make sure you turn up the bass on your bass guitar or on the head. At least this will put the cabinet out of its misery faster. :rolleyes:

Depending on how much you play, I give it 3-6 months tops.

14. There really arn't any amps that work well for both guitar and bass. Kinda like trying to play tuba with a trumpet mouthpiece.
  15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'm very sorry you had to learn all of this after you bought the amp. If you absolutely must play bass through that rig, roll off as much low end as you can and keep volume as low as possible, but it would be best not to play bass through it at all.
  16. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Sure there are! Hiwatt and Orange come to mind... as long as you dig fat old school tube tone.
  17. have you ever considered, buying some high watt combo like a gallien krueger, and then getting a couple of cabinets, and hooking it through that? granted, doing the complex thing and having a head and all that other stuff looks cool, but i don't like it. besides, ur saving urself all the trouble of mixing and matching heads and cabs. but if u really insist on going for the 150 watts @4ohms and 400watt@8ohms combination, it's really just a waste of money, cuz your not using ur speakers to their potential:oops:
  18. jappy

Nov 22, 2002
    thanks for the help. After all that I finally broke down and bought this matching Randall bass cab.