Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this a good setup?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fast slapper, Jan 26, 2002.

1. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Would this set up be good for small to medium sized gigs?Bergantino HT1x12 (maybe two) and a Peavey Bam head.

2. Peavey makes a BAM head? Whoa, not up to date on my Peavey stuff. Anyways, why wouldn't it be a good setup if that's what you like?

3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Use a 2x12" and it should be fine.
    With a 1x12" it'll do fine during a gig, but I don't know how well it'll hold up for band practice. :)

I'd make sure they're both 4 ohm cabs, also.
    Otherwise you may hurt your head, considering it's not rated at 8 ohms. :)

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Super high quality cabs, midrange head? Seems like a bit of a mismatch. I know Peavey makes good stuff, but it still seems like a mismatch. Just IMO.

5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    BAM is a "midrange" head?

:rolleyes:

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yes. Is it really expensive? ;)

7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Does it need to be to be considered "high end"?

You said "Super high quality cabs, midrange head?" which in the context of the sentence proves that you're not talking about price, you're talking about quality. ;)

I think you're missing what even you are saying. ;)

Don't be so pig-headed and rude, next time. ;)

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Interesting...you know what I'm talking about, but I don't? Definitely a unique argument. ;)

I was talking about quality. Regardless of whether you like the head or not, I don't think absolutely anyone would put a BAM head in the hi-fi audiophile category like they would with Bergantino cabinets. Do you think so? Then again, you know what I'm saying, and I don't! ;)

I wasn't rude, btw. If you want to continue this, PM me. No need to get the thread closed.

9. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    So what type of head should I put on it?

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    There are lots of heads that should work well with the 1-12 Bergantino cab... including the BAM;). It all depends on what you're after. Chances are that if you've tried a BAM and liked it it could be a good match. Bear in mind the smaller Bergies are 8 ohms.

The usual suspects could work, depending on your budget. Eden, SWR, Ampeg, GK, Hartke, Fender, Aguilar, EA, EBS... the list goes on.

Got a budget and sound in mind? What bass(es) will be used with it?

11. Slapper,

I would side with Angus. Berg cabs are considered to be hi-fi, hi end cabs. Matching it with a Peavey might be like buying a Porsche and putting a Yugo engine in it. My apologies to Peavey users out there - but I remember when Peaveys first came out and they were JUNK! That left such an impression with me, I would never consider getting a Peavey.

Also, slapper, what styles of music do you play? What would be the settings you would play at? If you're a rock, punk, metal, slash player, then you may want to look at Ampeg, Carvin, Genz Benz, or SWR cabs. If you're a jazz, fusion, Latin, funk, chops-type player, I would go with the Berg cab, but maybe a different head -- like Euphonic Audio, Ashdown, Aguilar, or SWR.

12. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    You should consider relooking.
    I, personally like the BAM amp far better than anything I've tried. (which includes some of your greats, like an SWR SM-500, Eden WT-300, Ampeg SVT-CL, etc, etc...)
    Peavey's moved up a considerable amount.

"never considering" shouldn't hold anything against his decision, so I don't really see why you made that comment...