Is this a good starting bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MurdocRocks, Jun 19, 2005.

1. MurdocRocks

Jun 18, 2005
    Torrance, CA
    I'm new here, so hello everyone.

I already play the piano, which I'm about average at, and now I'm interested in the bass, though I know almost nothing about it.

SX SJB-62QMD

Is that a good bass to start on?
  2. Hey Murdoc....that SX (or any for that matter) is a perfect starter bass. You really can't go wrong with an SX...some people still use their SX as their main bass.

I have a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz and an SX SPB-62 that I ripped the frets out of and have modified slightly (Badass II bridge, Schaller tuners, Duncan Quarter Pound P Pickup, new paint job, new neck (nothing special...just wanted a lefty neck), and Rotosound flatwounds...although the bass sounded perfectly good before the mods after I did a little set up work to it...I just felt like modding it). Go for it...SX's are great. :bassist:
  3. MurdocRocks

Jun 18, 2005
    Torrance, CA
    Is rondo a reliable place to order from?
  4. Check out his Ebay rating! Rondo Music Ebay Store.
  5. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Man - that is a gorgeous bass! Is this "SX" made by ESP or some Korean company? And only $99.00? That is unbelievable.
  6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I love mine. Good bass for the money.

If I had to complain about something, it's the weight.
  7. MurdocRocks

Jun 18, 2005
    Torrance, CA
    Are they heavy compared to other basses or something?
  8. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    The 75 jazzes are. Huge hardware and heavy wood. You should really just search the megathread. It was designed to keep other threads from popping up.

9. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    So maybe somebody can help me cut to the chase here. It seems like these basses get a huge "thumbs up". The price seems like one of those "if it seems too good...." deals. I have to assume the price is so low because they are made some place like South Korea. The quality of musical instruments coming from overseas is getting quite amazing. So who is the recommended seller of these online, and do they come already set up nicely?
  10. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Well - I went ahead and bought the exact bass that MurdocRocks was looking at. It looks like this guy has more than just one - so I don't think I stepped on anybody. With the gold hardware and the sunburst finish, it is a very nice looking bass. With all the positive comments about it - I don't know how I could go wrong for $125.00 including shipping. Sure glad I registered for this forum today!

11. Hey guys,

Those of you who don't know about SX yet, or are questioning on this post, here's what I know.

SX are basically Fender Jazz and Precision copies. One of the reasons they are cheap is that they are made in China (which really bothers a number of guys here on TB, so if you don't want an argument don't mention it too much). There are a lot of manufacturers out there that will make inexpensive Fenderish copies, but none of them seem to be as good or as inexpensive as the SX versions. Be careful - other manufacturers will put out a Jazz Bass copy but the body is a laminate (plywood) and not real solid alder. Kurt makes his basses out of real alder and ash just like the big boys. The wood may not be as good but it's the real stuff so you'll get the real sound.

You can get these basses either here: Rondo Music or here: Rondo Music Ebay Store.

They're about the same quality of a Fender Standard bass (made in Mexico) but at a much lower price.

Go for it!
  12. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Well I just bought one, and if they are as good as Mexican versions - I will be very happy and will have saved at least $400 bucks. It is truly amazing how much labor costs are! I just hope I'm not supporting some 8 year old kid working 14 hours a day.

13. Well all I was doing was replying to this thread, to post a helpful link to the megathread. Then I thought "if these things are that good and every one likes 'em, I need to try one of these babies." So I just placed and order with Kurt through E-bay last night. I am looking forward to trying one of these out, should go well with my Fender P-bass. There is no way I can beat $125 for a bass that people actually recommend. :bassist:
  14. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    The only thing with SX basses is that once you get them, you'd best take it in for a professional setup. Then again, that's good practice to do for most any bass you acquire.
  15. I love my SX and am finishing off the final mods on it as we speak (type!)
    The only problem I had with mine was a lifted 14th fret. Apart from that, when I removed the neck I noticed the neck pocket was done really poorly, but that wasn't affecting it's playability.
  16. MurdocRocks

Jun 18, 2005
    Torrance, CA
    I ordered the bass and an amp three days ago, and it hasn't been shipped yet... I'm getting kind of impatient now, especially after hearing people get theirs 4 days after ordering it. :mad:
  17. Well since this post is still going I will say that I got my SX yesterday. After a few adjustments it sounds pretty good so far. I debated takin' it to rehearsal last night but left it at home. I am fixin' to go play some now. :bassist:
  18. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
  19. Paul182

May 18, 2005
    Looks great for $100. Is $99.99 really the Price. I might get one too. :hyper: