Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this a good Wireless for bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by GraffixNyc, Apr 5, 2005.

1. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Hi, is this a good wireless for bass?
    Shure ULXS14 UHF Guitar and Bass Wireless System

If not can someone recomend a good one in the 300-600 range

2. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I never really had a need to look at wireless systems, but I found your question an interesting one for the recording forum. I'd think you'd generally have fewer worries using a wired system for recording.

Just to be clear, I'm only asking because I'm curious. I'm not critisizing your question. :)

3. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    I'm sorry I clicked the wrong fourm

4. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City

Or how about this lower end one?
    Samson Airline AP1B Bass Wireless System with Angled Plug

5. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    Sorry for reposting but I need feedback asap I'm looking to buy one tomorrow.. I think I'm going to go with the Airline but need to know if it's good.. here is my original post

Or how about this lower end one?
    Samson Airline AP1B Bass Wireless System with Angled Plug

6. Big D

Big D

May 26, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I play a four sting passive Fender Jazz. I have both the Samson Airline (before the Bass version came out) and the Shure SLX14.

I really don't like the Samson. It feels cheap, has only one frequency, I think the little plug in unit looks stupid, and it affects your tone with a terrible companding algorithm. It sounds like flicking cardboard at the start of every note. I hate it. I used a cable over the Samson.

On the other hand the Shure SLX is fantastic. It has great tone, lots of frequencies and it comes with a rack mount kit. Everything about it is first class. The receiver automatically detects the best frequency to use then you press a button on the transmitter and it auto syncs with the receiver. You can get a good solid 6 hours out of 2 AA batteries.

If you play a five string I would also look at the ULX, it has a lower end frequency response. I think the SLX goes down to 45 hertz and the ULX 25 hertz. I really can’t tell the difference between a cable and my SLX unit.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes, the Shure ULXS should be an excellent unit for bass. It goes down to 25 hz at the low end. FWIW, on the other hand, the Shure SLX series only goes down to 45 hz. I ordered an SLX from Rik's before I discovered that its frequency range didn't even hit the E string (although I'm sure it would work fine for a four string). I called them and told them of my concern about playing 5-strings through it, and they said, "Just refuse the package when it's delivered, and we'll credit your card." This is one reason why I HIGHLY recommend Rik's Music.

Probably no comparison between the Shure and the Samson, against which I recommend.

8. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Don't be a fool! Go with the Shure. It's a professional unit, the Samson is not. There's no comparison.

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    moved to misc.

10. Excellent. Now we've got 3 of basically the SAME thread. I hear by the 12th thread answers really start to roll in. :rollno:

Anyway, I use a Sennheiser EW172 G2. A bit above the price range, but a KILLER wireless unit, nonetheless. Just my .02

Now keep on posting! :eyebrow:

11. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Threads merged.

12. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I haven't tried the Shure yet, but I'm happy with the Samson. Handles the low B just fine. I'd expect the Bass unit to have specs different to the guitar unit's specs as posted, but have been unable to confirm as yet.

13. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    I just ordered the Shure ULXS14 UHF Guitar and Bass Wireless System! Thanks guys

14. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Let us know how you think...can it handle the powerful Low B of the Spector?

15. I have the ShureULXS14, and it works great. If you tweak it and your amp enough, I've managed to get it to handle my B-string downtuned to an A.

16. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    I got my Shure ULXS14 yesterday and tested out in practice. It worked great. handled the low b fine but I did have to change some settings on my amp. I noticed at first the sound was muddy so I turned the volume down on the reciever from 99 to about 60, I have to play around with the EQ a bit but it sounded pretty good. Just out of curiousity, does anyone that has this unit have any good reccomendations to get the best, cleanest sound possible from it. It works and sounds fine but I just want to figure out if I can get an even better sound from it.

17. You could try turning down the volume of the unit again, or the output of your bass slightly, and that may help. I myself have the unit at 75, and put my bass volume pot at about 50%, and just turn my amp up a little to make up for it, and my tone seems to be crystal-clear. I have noticed with this wireless system also, on one of my basses (my Yamaha) if I turn up the bass boost/cut at all, it starts to get a little muddy. This doesn't happen on my other basses, just that one particular bass. You might want to check and see if it does the same on yours.

18. Ken Lloyd

Ken Lloyd Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2004
    Portland, Maine

19. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000

20. Hi ,

If it helps anyone, here's what I found following buying this unit today (22 July 2005) and testing after setting it up.

I use a high quality lead normally,but fancied the freedom of wireless.

First ,I set up the vol (3) and sound with my usual lead as a benchmark. Next, after tweaking the wireless gain etc for the best setting - peak light just lighting if I play the E string a bit harder than normal, I feel this is a fair appraisal of the results.

I found the sound quality better with the lead and I feel there is a noticable difference in the vol /output of the lead over the wireless. Also, I needed to enhance the sound a little to give it an edge that I would normally have with my lead.

As an example, if the lead vol level was 3, I had to increase it to 5 using the wireless to obtain the same results. Note the vol on the wireless unit was set at max!

In my opinion, the lead is definately better overall. However, the convenience of the wireless (being able to walk out front to sound check) and the freedom of no lead, for me wins.

I did have one bad experience in testing the unit. I set up the unit in my shed approx. 50ft from house and did the 'walk' test. results were superb. no lose of signal even playing indoors - 10/10 for that.

However, when I went back into the shed and approx. 1-2ft away from the transmitter, the unit suddenly died and not a sound was heard. this lasted for around 2/3 mins. If I was on stage, this would not be good. After turning everything off, waiting a bit, then restarting, eventually it worked A1. It hasn't done it since. This is around 45 mins after this happened.

I don't think I hit a 'dead' spot as I was right by the unit. The handbook is useless in my opinion.

If anyone can shed light on why this happened, I would appreciate it. I intend to speak to Shure UK and ask the question.

For anyone who's interested in settings.

On the unit, gain set around 8.5 out of 10 with 20db cut 'ON'. unit too fierce with 20db cut off and gain set about 2.5.
    The peak light was having a party LOL. Bass used is a Sadowsky MV4. (Hi Sadowsky owners)

vol on max on unit and 5 on amp. the Squelch is left at 12 o'clock.

And finally, the range of the unit is excellent. goes as low as 20hz. more than enough for all bass guitars.

In summary, I don't regret buying this as after a bit of tweaking, I now have freedom with a reasonable sound. it's not perfect, but it's pretty close to what I normally have.

I paid £215 for the package.

Hope this helps.

Funnyfreddie