1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is This a "Good Years" Warwick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Hammer, Apr 27, 2006.

1. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
  2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
  3. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    I'll go along with the brass nut, and all wenge neck ... I'm not the biggest fan of EMGs anyway ... or of the Thumb for that matter ...

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    "Mass production" began after they moved to Markneukirchen in 1996, if that's what you are asking.

5. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I guess. I've just seen many comments on this board about "I got a good year Warwick" and I was wondering if it was something like the "Pre-CBS" years at Fender where the models from these years are consider better built and better sounding and thus more sought after.

6. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    anybody?

7. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Yes it is. I think you should BUY IT!

8. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    If this came along a couple of months from now I'd be all over it. Go for it and good luck.

9. Paddy

Paddy

Apr 19, 2005
    Kent England
    FWIW I got a '91 thumb 5 n/t with Barts. It's got the brass nut and is immaculate. I love it, the tone is just great for me.

I recently tried out a brand new n/t Thumb 5 and it felt completely different. Only my opinion but it didn't seem to have the same quality or feel throughout the instrument.

If it's got the brass nut, wenge neck, is a clean example and the price is right then your onto a winner.

Try the '95 and if it feels and sounds good to you do it - you won't regret it.

10. Paddy

Paddy

Apr 19, 2005
    Kent England
    Of course you won't be able to try it - it's on ebay. Muppet!!!:crying:

11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, the difference is not as drastic as in the CBS QC.
    There were a few changes: like ovangkol neck instead of wenge, and graphite nut instead of brass nut; also, the shape and size of the necks also changed.
    However, there are still some fine ones. For example my Corvette was made for me in 2003, but is a very good bass nonetheless. (Might have to do with it being a lefty 6er, therefore rare and getting more attention)

12. From my experience, anything pre '98 seems to be pretty good bass from Warwick.

13. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    thanks guys you have really helped me alot!!:)

14. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'm of the opinion that the "good years" concept doesn't apply to Warwicks. I'll ask the same question I've asked on these threads before and never got an answer: to those of you who think the newer warwicks aren't as good ... did you have the newer bass set up with your favorite strings and play through your amp, or did you try it out at guitar center when you decided it wasn't as good as your older model? Also, was it the same model? There are a LOT of different warwick models, all with different price points and tones.

I've played quite a few warwicks in shops over the years going back to the mid 90s and have always thought they were very well made with a unique feel and tone. I now own an '01 and can't fault it on construction, tone, or playability. No brass nut. Is that supposed to bother me?

15. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    anything from warwick seems pretty good to me.

16. Paddy

Paddy

Apr 19, 2005
    Kent England
    Hi Pickles - good points.

The one I tried and basing my opinion on was straight off the shelf at the Bass Centre in london. It's the '06 model Thumb 5 n/t as opposed to my '91. Stock MEC's as oppossed to my Barts. Stock (read knackered) strings - whatever they may have been. The setup didn't seem too bad though.

But my problem wasn't tonal - it was more of a feel thing. Your right, it may not be fair to compare the tone because of the differences.

I can't put my finger on it but as soon as I picked it up it felt so different. It didn't feel as well made or solid as mine. The neck just didn't do it for me - IMHO just doesn't compare to the '91 wenge. I came away really dissapointed.

Only my opinion - like everything it's subjective, you may love an '06 Thumb and not get on with my '91. Given the choice between the two I know which way I'll come down everytime - which will please the bank manager and the wife :smug: .

17. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    any more opinions? :)

18. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    There is a different feel with the all-wenge neck. The ovankol has a more open grain and less slickness to it compared to the wenge. The wenge is also stiffer. The profile also seems a little different to me.

The brass nut is a matter of adjustability for me, rather than tone. It does seem to have a slight effect on tone, but I like being able to adjust each string individually.

I feel enough of a difference between the newer Corvette and the older Corvette that I own that I prefer the older one.

19. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    From the basses I've tried, the Wenge is actually the wood with the open grain that you can feel under your thumb. Ovankol is ultra-smooth, like satin glass.

20. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    To be fair, in the good years (not pre 98 or so, pre 93 when they were made Wilfer) there were NOT a lot of different models with different price points and all.