Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this a grounding issue or a shielding issue?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fr0me0, Mar 1, 2006.

1. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    My bass hums unless i'm touching the some kind of metal, It can be anything, tuners, strings knobs or bridge and it'll stop the hum. Does it sound like it isn't gounded properly or do you thing hte control cavity has to be shielded or somehting?

2. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    I have the same thing happen with my schecter and I think it's a grounding problem, nothing a shielding kit from stewmac can't fix.

3. That is a grounding issue. Your ground wire is loose or not properly connected.

4. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I have a ground wire going to my bridge. but its a floating bridge, think that might have anything to do with it?

5. How is it connected to the bridge? Is it wrapped around an anchoring screw or just pinched between the body and the bridge? You may also be grounding out somewhere else as well. Does any of the wiring to the switches look sloppy?

6. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    it does actually go around a screw. the soldiering around the pots it s a little sloppy I'm not the best at soldering maybe i'll buy new pots and try to wire it up again.

7. If your solder runs and it hits other metals on the switch it can cause grounding issues. Just use as little soldering as possible when you do it. Easier said than done sometimes!

8. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    I shielded my bass and it's quiet - except when I go to my bass teacher and plug into his 2nd practice amp. We played around with it and found that the tall lamp was causing my buzzing. Everywhere else I plug into is quiet.