Is this a Kramer USA bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by worldhater, Mar 29, 2005.

1. worldhater

Feb 2, 2005
    Hi there. Some guy is offering this 5 string Kramer bass for $600 and he says it has stamped on the back of the headstock "made in USA". The model is MT550 and I'm waiting for him to post the serial number, it seems to start with 232 or 252, can anybody give me some info about it? what do you think, it's a USA made as he says? It looks more like a Yamaha RBX, well here are some pictures and the complete auction is it called? The serial number should be soon posted below where it says "Preguntas al Vendedor". Thanks and sorry if my english sucks, I'm from Chile.
  2. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I would think if it were a Kramer made in USA, it would have the well known Made in Neptune, NJ neck plate.

3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Cool bass, but I'm pretty sure that's not a Kramer of any sort. It doesn't resemble any of the Kramer models I know about at all, and as far as I know Kramer has never put their logo on the body, just the headstock (except the headless Duke basses).

PS: It just occurred to me that there might be some other company with the name "Kramer" now that the one we know about has gone under, but I've never heard of it...
  4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    IMO, somethings not quite "right" with that bass. It's tough to tell from the pic's. To many bells and whistles, not enough quality.
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Kramer USA was out of business before the 5 string boom began.

I've never seen a US Kramer 5 string, I don't think such a beast ever existed.
  6. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I'm guessing a Yamaha that has been modified.
  7. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Someone posted a link to a vintage Kramer archive not too long ago. Do a search on Kramer basses. That might give you the link.
  8. WayneP

Oct 11, 2004
    Katy, Texas
  9. worldhater

Feb 2, 2005
    Thanks a lot for all your help, I've checked some USA Kramer basses and they have nothing to do with this one, well, it was too good to be true I guess, Thanks again everybody :smug: