1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this a Lakland Skyline?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JSandbloom, Nov 20, 2018.

1. JSandbloom

JSandbloom Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Redding, Ca
    Grace Guitars USA
    I came across a Lakland bass that doesn’t have a skyline logo but otherwise screams skyline. Do y’all think it’s just a Wilkins painted headstock with a USA logo added?

172E7B44-1CEE-4B64-B97C-3C80B16FA7CF. 4D9F040D-BF28-4393-BE00-691F9877682C. 4374090F-A516-4207-9C49-9BD2AC09B1B2. 6B53FE91-2F29-477E-994E-03CB8A4C9B6C.

2. tkonbass

tkonbass I'm just one of the out-of-focus guys. Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Mobile, Alabama, USA
    Yes it's a Skyline. Printed S/N, non quarter-sawn neck, "Designed in Chicago" instead of "Made in USA", Hipshot Licensed tuners etc... I'm not convinced that a Wilkins's painted headstock either. Looks a little sloppy around the edges. How much are they asking?

3. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    I'd say it's a Wilkins, or a refin, at the very least. I ran into one earlier this year, but the whole neck had been refinished in gloss, so it was missing the serial and the text on the back of the headstock, and it had the US Lakland logo, as the skyline logo is not readily available. I believe there were pencil markings on the heel of the neck that Wilkins put on, to keep confusion down.

4. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    $850, after a little detective work ;)

tkonbass likes this.
  5. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    Did you end up buying this bass? It's a looker for sure, and probably has something unique going on with the Barts in there. Though they wouldn't be my preference on a PJ. I've seen a couple occasions where Lakland actually refinished Skylines for endorsements/partnerships and removed the "Skyline" from the headstock. No idea if that was a couple flukes or if that's their standard practice as part of a marketing strategy...

6. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    What about the paint job looks sloppy around the edges of the headstock?! Looks fine to me. I think you may be confusing a bad paint job with the way the light is reflecting off the edge.

I guess there's always going to be someone that finds an issue with anything.

7. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    That's a Skyline. Should be labeled as such but at 850 it's at least priced like one.
    Pantjob looks plenty clean to me.