Is this a legit request via email

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Steve Clark, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Hi everyone, I'm guessing this email I received is one of the bogus ones that are flying around since I received three emails, one from a Jack Robinson and two from a David Moore. They arrived less than an hour after posting on Thanks in advance for your input. See below:

i am david i want you to know that i am intrested in buying your Euphonic Audio CXL112 $855 for sale i would like you to know that i recide in the uk and i will want to the last price of it. i want you to know that i will be paying with a us money order if this is ok pls i will want you give me your full details so i can issue out the check to you ok. this include your.
  2. Is this legit? :rolleyes: You're kidding, Steve. Of course it isn't. One more scam like the cam109 scam brought up earlier.
  3. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

When I'm selling something, I avoid bassgear now. As soon as I posted there, I received the same 5 scam emails.

Was your gear posted there?

If I'm terribly desperate, I'll mark in caps NO SCAMMERS, 3 or 4 times in the post... I only received 1 or 2 scam emails then.
  4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Scammers are everywhere. I dont avoid posting on classifieds b/c of scammers. That just hurts all of us in the long run. When I get scam attempts I just delete them and go about my day. No point in getting upset about it as that doesnt change anything.
  5. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Thanks. I guess I shouldn't complain since its a free service at bassgear. First time using it. Probably the last.
  6. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I play along... let 'em send me the phony check... then email the bank that it's counterfeited from, and forward them the reply. I can do it all while I'm at work so it's not wasting my time... and I'm wasting theirs as well as whatever it costs to produce the fake and mail it. If they lose enough money on the scam, maybe they'll stop.
  7. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

Great idea.

I'm only paranoid about giving out my mailing address to scammers. I guess I could give them my work address. The last think I want, is to come home, and find my house broken into, and all my gear stolen. Not saying that a scammer from Nigeria would come all the way to my home, but it's just one of those things that's "better safe than sorry" to me.

OTOH, if my work was broken into, and I had to take a day off, that would be a shame... ;)
  8. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I wouldn't get too down on it just yet... it's a great way to get your gear advertised. But, you also get a lot of these obnoxious scammer-types too. Just weed out the bad ones and wait on someone genuine to express interest.
  9. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Bassgear is a great place to buy and sell. Many "regulars" there to do business with - just like here. The fortunate thing about the scammers there is that they are so obvious. Most scammers get smarter, these guys seem to get dumber as time goes on. Yeah, it's a pain, but just delete the email and move on.