1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this a legit Ric?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lammchop93, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    he seller has a low price on this and I want to make sure it's real before I buy.

He says it is a all original 1973 Maple Ric with checkered binding. It looks real to me, but I wanted to be safe.

The two things that worry me are that the Rickenbacker Logo is not raised, and I'm not sure about the tuners.:confused:

3826887-l.
    3826889-l.
    3826893-l.

2. BassmanAd

BassmanAd

Mar 19, 2008
    UK
    Yep, look legit to me. I used to have a '74 Jetglo with those tuners and the non-raised logo.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    That looks 100% like a 1973 Rickenbacker. From the 1st half of 1973 to be specific.

Very cool ... and worth over $2000 easily

The Grover tuners are what should be on it as well as that type of TRC.

Nice find. The 73 I had was from late 73 and had been refined 3 times and rewired. I restored it stock except I left out the .0047 capacitor and used all 250k ohm pots. It was my favorite gigging bass until I switched to a 5 string.

4. mrtn400

mrtn400

Dec 6, 2008
    Carmichael, CA
    Those look to be Grover box tuners.

They were only used for a few years as they tend to pop open and fire out the gears and such. But don't let that stop you from buying it because of the tuners as they hold tension really well and if one does pop open it's easily fixable with a mallet or bailing wire.

Edit: And most older Rics don't have a raised truss rod cover.

5. Lammchop93

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Sweet!!!

It looks like I'm buying this bad boy. I will tell you all how much I payed once I get it just to be safe. I CANT WAIT!!!

6. Klopp18

Klopp18

Dec 25, 2009
    New Hope, MN
    it says "model 4001"
    it looks like a 4003

7. Lammchop93

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    what makes you think it's a 4003?

4003 don't have skunk stripes. So that would make this a 4001.

8. Klopp18

Klopp18

Dec 25, 2009
    New Hope, MN
    yeah i just noticed that. sorry. i was confused for a second. im fairly new to rics.

9. Lammchop93

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    It's cool. haha. I am new also, so I'm learning as I go.

10. Klopp18

Klopp18

Dec 25, 2009
    New Hope, MN
    i love my '85 red 4003. its my favorite bass i've ever played. good luck with that 4001!

11. busta_bird

busta_bird

Mar 11, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    congrats if you get it. it looks awesome!

12. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    It is a 4001 ... the 4003 never had the skunk stripe or checkered binding, or grover tuners, or a toaster neck pickup.

But you could put a toaster and grovers on a 4003

13. Nice Ric, but that sloppy stringing job makes my OCD kick-in.
    Doesn't he know about the hole down the peg, or own some wirecutters?

When running sound, if I see a guitar string end waving around I will grab my cutters and walk right up to the stage to trim it off.
    Otherwise, it will demand my attention and ruin the night...

14. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit Metro, MI USA
    4003 model started in 1982-ish. All 70's Ricks are 4001.
    And yes, this one looks very legit.

Jeff, you never told me that '73 was a re-fin. It WAS a hell of a player, though.

15. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Yes it's real. I have a 4001 that dates from May '73. It also has box Grovers and the trussrod cover has the logo screen printed on the rear of a clear piece of plastic, just like the one in the pic.

The box Grovers can pop open, but they're not too fragile. In the 34 years I've had mine (got it in '76) the D string tuner got popped open once, but that was because I left the bass propped up against the end of a sofa when rehearsing around my singers parents house way back in the 70's (just after I got the bass). Somebody tripped over the lead while we'd paused to take a coffee break and sent the bass crashing into an antique French display cabinet and the D string tuner put a deep curving gouge into the exotic veneers of the cabinet as the bass fell - and popped the back of the tuner off.

The singer couldn't understand why I was more worried by the tuner than the deep gouge in his parents expensive antique, but that's singers for ya.

Anyway, as somebody said ^^^^^ up there, they can be fixed easily by pressing them back together and just lightly peening the studs that fit into the corresponding holes in the baseplate - and they do hold their tune wonderfully.

16. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    It's real.

17. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    Yes that bass started out as a jetglo then it was refined red and then natural. A white finish may have been in there somewhere as well. I found the evidence when I took off the hardware and restored it.

18. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    The only thing that looks "off" to me is the bridge placement. Looks a bit closer to the neck than normal. Could just be the angle of the shot.

another 1973 for reference..

[​IMG]
    3826887-l.

19. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35

Dec 26, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This looks to be the rarer 21 fret model. On those, the bridge is actually moved up closer on the body. Unless my eyes blurred, I just counted 21 frets. Nice score if you bring it home!

20. s4001

s4001

Feb 2, 2009
    It's a 20 fretter. I would have jumped thru the monitor if it was a 21 fretter. Those are about as rare as it gets. Nice example of a '73. Enjoy 'er if you get 'er.