1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this a Mesa Boogie Cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peterbass, Aug 26, 2007.

1. peterbass

peterbass

Aug 26, 2007
    I might buy a cabinet from someone, and i can't find any pictures anywhere of it.
    It has 1 12" speaker, 1 10" speaker, 2 8" speakers, and a small horn. it says mesa boogie on the side, but that's it...
    has anyone ever seen a cabinet like this?

thanks for the help....

2. skiscem

skiscem Supporting Member

3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The picture from Stefan in that thread is a 1516 cabinet, but those 1516's have a 15", a 10", two 6" and a horn.

[​IMG]

I have never seen one with a 12", 10" and two 8". Maybe the seller is giving wrong dimensions.

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Sounds to me like its the 1516, and the seller is just off on his measurements.

5. peterbass

peterbass

Aug 26, 2007
    you are all right, it's actually a 1516, the dimensions he gave me were off, and so it is definitely a mesa boogie 1516...

what do you guys think about it? it seems like a quality full range cabinet (and it is a mesa boogie).

thanks for your help,
    keep on thumpin'....

6. that looks nice, what ohms is it? do they sound good?

7. peterbass

peterbass

Aug 26, 2007
    these are 4 0hms @ 450 watts.
    the more i read about them, the more i learn that they are sound monsters that are quite versatile, and some of them are bi-ampable.
    i can't wait to get it, i'll report back when i've used it to blow the doors off of my house...hee,hee

8. Be careful with the cones, if it's old...

9. peterbass

peterbass

Aug 26, 2007
    do you mean they might be breaking down?
    maybe a re-coning will have to happen?
    would you recommend a way to inspect for this either visually or by listening to them?

thanks for the help, i'm a bit unknowledgable about the technical side of amps/cabinets...

10. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yes the 1516 cab kicks major butt! Full range, very versatile.
    Yup they are 4 ohm. The ones built in the 80's only had a single input jack, and around '91 they changed it to where you could bi amp the cab if you wanted (separate 8ohm jacks).

Try it out, let your ears be the judge. If there's anything wrong with the speakers, you'll hear it.

11. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    This is an EXCELLENT cab!! You'll love it! :hyper: