Is this a natural progression for a bassist?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by syciprider, Jan 1, 2006.

1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I.... am... beginning.... to.... like.... DISCO tunes... :oops: Enjoyable and easy to play. What's not to like?

Get down tonight! :bassist:

Anybody else have their musical pallette expand a bit?
  2. SuperSonic!!!

Oct 26, 2005
    Hell yeah!
    Before I started playing bass, I was only into punk. :eyebrow: I then started getting into music that has good bass parts, and now I listen mostly to jazz/funk. :cool:
  3. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    DON'T PANIC!!!!!

Not to worry. You are just coming to know the funk. Funk gets your booty shakin' thus made for really great disco tunes.

Either that or you are turning gay.

Do you like show tunes too?

DISCLAIMER: In case I offended anybody....Oh for Pete's sake, laugh, would you??
  4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I was watching Regis' New Year's Eve show last night and I thoroughly enjoyed .... Duran Duran because Notorious had a nice bass line :oops: .
  5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I'm a sailor. It ain't gay if we're underway ;) It ain't queer if we're on the pier ;)
  6. paintballjunkie

Jul 27, 2005
    hehe. sometimes i'll lock my door, close the blinds, turn the t.v. up loud, put my headphones on and listen to billie jean :D
  7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    The horror movie Prom Night (with Jamie Lee Curtis) has a mostly disco-type soundtrack, but it's hard not to love it because the bassist playing on it is so good.

Whether you liked the pop/R&B/disco/funk music from the 70s or not, it certainly was the age of the bass player.
  8. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I used to only listen to grunge and metal. Now I don't listen to metal at all, but everything else.
  9. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I was 11 when the Disco fever exploded (and according to your profile, you're a bit older than me ;) ). I enjoyed it as much as I could. Lots of tunes from that era, but the "Saturday Night Fever" soundtrack, Chic's "Le Freak", almost any Boney M tune from that era and Rod Stewart's "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy" are my prime "chillbringers". Does anybody remember Patrick Hernandez's "Born To Be Alive"?
  10. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    You should be dancing has one of my favourite basslines, go figure :D
  11. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    I just bought Donna Summer's greatest hits disc a few weeks ago because I was missing her grooves. As long as the disco dress style doesn't come back, we'll be okay.
  12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

If it's a cool groove, you'd be amiss to not cop it. It is about learning to play styles like a pro.
  13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Disco is one of only a few genres that are completely bass driven. Mostly octave stuff, but none the less.... baaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssss.

The more of a musician you become, the more your tastes expand. It's all about a better understanding of what's going on in the world of music and a wanting to improve via expanding your horizons/vocabulary.
  14. pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Tastes do change but I still hate disco, fusion, prog, jazz and classical (I do practice playing the latter two but don't care to listen to them). I like folk, country and metal. Unbassistlike tastes, I guess.
  15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Before I played bass, I basically only listened to alternative rock and a little acoustic stuff...

I started playing bass, and now almost 4 years into it (almost 1 into playing DB, which is my main instrument and love) I'm firmly rooted in many kinds of music with a specific focus on jazz. This doesn't stop me from rooting through the Value Village vinyl section for Stravinsky or picking up the latest Mudvayne, Jack Johnson, or John Mayer Trio.

PS: I went through a hardcore phase of disco and 70's funk in my second year. Still love it :).
  16. ooooo! Listen to the song "I need more love"!