Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this a nice bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FractalUniverse, Nov 4, 2002.

1. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    [​IMG]
    -------------------------------------------------
    The Stu Hamm "Urge" Standard is modeled after the U.S. version(this means it's not american, right??) and features a poplar body, rosewood fretboard, and active electronics.

Part Number: 013-1400
    Body: Poplar, Stu Hamm Shape
    Neck: Maple, Special Profile
    Machine Heads: Standard
    Fretboard: Rosewood (9.5" Radius/241 mm)
    No. of Frets: 24
    Pickups: J-Bass© Neck, J-Bass Bridge
    Controls: Master Volume/Pan Pot, Bass/Treble Boost /Cut
    Bridge: Vintage Style
    Pickup Switching: Pan Pot
    Scale Length: 32" (812.8 mm)
    Neck Width @ Nut: 1.590" (40.4 mm)
    -----------------------------------------------

Someone is selling me this bass used in US$270!!!!:D It's all black, and the headstock is also black and it says "the urge". it has stu signature on the headstock. There are 2 j pickups only (there's no P).

I think i'm going to buy it (it's really cheap, but i need the money).... any comments??? I this a good bass??? what mods would you make to it???

2. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    I think that is a go and buy it :D

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    For that price I would buy it. I've played that model before and it was pretty decent. For that price you can't go wrong. I'm almost positive it was made in Mexico (outside chance on Japan- it's been a while since I played it), and I know Fender don't make 'em no more.

The only thing I didn't like was the scale length. Try playing another short scale bass before you commit to this one.

4. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    $1500???? didn't he say $270???? I'm very confused right now, I gotta go lay down....... now where's my aspirin??:confused: :confused: :confused:

5. Considering it's a short scale with 24 frets, the fret spacing is gonna be tight. I've never played the Urge I, but the Urge II is cool. The Urge II is the one with the J/P/J pups. Not the est bass I've ever played, but I could have some fun with it.

IIRC, the Urge I plays and sounds like a short scale jazz. Try before you buy if you can. But yeah, it's a good price for it. I'm pretty sure the Urge was MIM. I personally wouldn't make any mods to it. Mods usually kill resale value.

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    32" is medium scale.

You say you need the money. Do you need the bass?

7. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    I have to sell my bass, then i'll have money.
    ---------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]
    If you want it.........

8. Looks kinda nice, but I don't recognize the model--what is it?

Mike

9. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
    Yes, scale, being 32", is medium. I don't think this presents a major issue on what is "essentially" an active jazz bass.

These are MIM.

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I was under the impression that under 34" was "short scale". Oh well, I'm a big guy. 32" is short to me. :D

11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Check eBay closed auctions under Urge to see what they go for there. I think that there has been a couple recently. A beat out fixer upper went for just under $200 so a fully functional bass at $270 would be a good price.

I recently bought a used MIA Urge. The tiny neck both in 32 in. "medium" scale length and neck profile make for a very sports-car like bass. It has inspired me to play in a manner quite different than I ever had. If you've got the cash...go for it.

I don't know if they made Urges in Japan...my guess is that it's Mexican, which to me is a great thing. I have two Mexican Fenders (P and J5) and they're both wonderful!!!!

I was concerned about loose strings but use medium gauge DR Hi Beams (which seem loose to me anyway) and they're fine.

Enjoy!!!!

12. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell

30" and below is short scale.

13. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
    > "Part Number: 013-1400"

Country code 013 = Mexico!