1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this a normal Upright Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by PinkFloydDan, Apr 13, 2009.

1. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
  2. wilsonn

wilsonn

Sep 26, 2005
    New York
    That's your basic double bass. Perfectly normal.

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    It's a bass.

4. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    I wonder if he will take 1700 :)

5. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    If the neck hasn't been broken (as many Kays have) it is worth $2000. It looks to be in nice shape from the pics, but they only tell a small part of the story.

6. Mendry37

Mendry37

Oct 19, 2004
    Albany, New York
    Looks good. Says it needs a little love...I would look into what the seller is talking about.
    Chad

7. A minor point, but I wouldn't categorize any Kay as a 4/4 bass. More like 3/4 (even if its "6 feet tall").

8. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    Concur. That would be a nice classic Kay to get yer hands on if the neck is sound.

9. tgrant

tgrant

Nov 7, 2005
    Middletown, VA
    Hey Dan!

Send me an e-mail. I can lend you an ear and possibly be of some help. It'd be good to catch up too.

Tim

10. Word of caution: it appears this bass may have been, or is, housed at a storage facility. Those places will be brutal on a bass. The rule of thumb is this--treat the bass as if it were a baby. Keep it away from fire, flame, heat, excessive cold, excessively dry places and exceedingly wet ones, no locked cars in the middle of summer...you get the idea.

Just something to consider.