1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this a P? Or is it a J (with flats)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Salamenster, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Have a listen. It sounds nice, low and boomy.

:bag:

2. He played J's and P's, but this sounds like a P to me.

3. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

The nice mid-bass and lack of low bass makes it a P for sure. Mine sounds just like that.

4. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Nice bass/kick EQing, classic sound.

That 'boominess' is what most people call thump, part of the P sound, especially with flats.

I'm guessing it's a P but on recordings you never know.

5. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Sounds like flats for sure, but I can't tell much else through my laptop speakers. Great tune though. Fantastic groove.

I had a chance to buy the Pensa bass that was played on a Dire Straits tour, complete with documentation and photos. It was a great playing and sounding bass, but too much money for my budget. You run into some great used gear here in Nashville.

6. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Strong mids leads be to think P bass

7. Don41_2

Don41_2 Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Raleigh, Nc
    Not sure about what was used in the studio, but in this video he's using a P bass (cant make out headstock logo). Nice shot of bass at 2:00.

Great song. Knopfler is awesome.

8. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    P bass, classic sound.

9. Neato. Thanks all. Makes me wondering if my next bass should really be a J...