Is this a problem? (tuner nut gap)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassbourne, Sep 14, 2020.

1. bassbourne

bassbourne

Nov 20, 2019
    I was playing my Fender Jazz bass (American Original if that helps) the other day and noticed that some of the tuning peg nuts on the front of the headstock look slightly raised (see photo). They may have always been like this, I just never noticed.

When I changed strings I pushed the nuts down as much as I could, but they look slightly raised again now that the strings are on.

The tuners don't feel unusually loose when the strings are off and the screws are all pretty tight. The bass plays fine.

I don't want to seem anal (the appearance doesn't bother me), I was just wondering if it's a problem and could cause any damage or is it just a cosmetic thing?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  2. bassbourne

bassbourne

Nov 20, 2019
    119479664_376101180086214_8426250968467128884_n.jpg

CTBassGuy likes this.
  3. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    Have this same behavior on my G&L SB-2 Tribute, so I'm interested in the answer as well. Subscribed! :)

bassbourne likes this.
  4. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    nope , non issue . You could do a few different tricks to keep them in place . The bushings are just pressed in . If I see them do this I usually pop them out and put a little plumbers goop on the bushings knurled edge , just a tiny bit is all it takes . That glues them down but they can be removed if need .Plumbers goop , good for a lot of things :)

bassbourne likes this.
  5. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I've used a bit of aluminum foil to tighten the fit between the bushing and the hole.

Qlanq and bassbourne like this.
  6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

"just a cosmetic thing." ;)

bassbourne likes this.
  7. Lagado

Lagado Inactive

Jan 6, 2020
    They don't look seated properly, are those gaps between the baseplates of the tuners and the headstock particular to Fender?

Engle, bassbourne and Pulverizor like this.
  8. mexicant

mexicant

Aug 28, 2012
    Mid Michigan,USA
    Totally normal,now go practice your bass!

bassbourne likes this.
  9. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Happens often. I have used elmers glue, lok tite, all kinds of packing materials. Some work, some just won't. YMMV.

bassbourne likes this.
  10. Strictly cosmetic. Push it, push it good!

bassbourne and nbsipics like this.
  11. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    Non issue. Periodically when unstrung I do use a deep socket (sized appropriately of course), and carefully press the raised bushing(s) back in.

bassbourne likes this.
  12. nickpc

nickpc

Jul 23, 2012
    North Carolina
    Awesome band name: The Tuner Nut Gaps!

fat_nermil, TK4261 and bassbourne like this.
  13. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    The one on the E string often does that more so than the others, because the headstock starts to rise toward the nut within its diameter. So, it might be a bit tougher to tame than the others.

bassbourne likes this.
  14. bassbourne

bassbourne

Nov 20, 2019
    Thanks for all the replies!

Good to know it's not an issue. May try one of the above tips next time I change strings. In the meantime, back to practicing, as mexicant says!

:bassist:

tzohn likes this.
  15. mikecd1

mikecd1

Mar 3, 2009
    New England
    Foil or cardboard are my favorites. Never had one move after using one of those.

bassbourne likes this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022