is this a problem

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by fn1564, Aug 24, 2004.

1. fn1564

Aug 24, 2004
    my parents and i were arguing whether this is a problem or not. Somehow my parents lost my bass case and i had no bass case for my bass to transport to private lessons and concerts. my parents said it's no big deal we'll just transport it plain and then put a blanket over it(it's cold in Ohio this time of year). Well i got to use my private teacher's bass eventually. but other Orchestra things, other then concerts, popped up. so is it a problem to transport a bass without a bass case in the cold air with no protection? thanx for ur time
  2. Well personally I never take my bass in cold places without a case. It's pretty cold where I'm at too so I know the problem. But denfinitly on an upright bass you should always have a case for transporting. Little dings and scratches are gonna happen but you try to keep it minimal. The cold will definitly mess with your bass. Your bass changes a lot seasonaly and you can't stop it but if you bring it outside where its cold and then inside where its hot its not good on your bass. I've seen many cracked bass that hapen that way. If I were you I would get a case a.s.a.p. even if its just a thin case, a little is better than nothin.
  3. I hauled my old Engelhardt around without a cover for a couple of years, and it definitely took its toll on the bass's appearance in a very short amount of time. Any kind of cheap-o cover is better than none at all.
  4. tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    Even with a padded cover, my bass takes plenty of abuse. It has dents and scratches all over it. I bang the top and bottom edges getting it in and out of my pickup, taking it in and out of the house, going through doorways. I'm getting to be somewhat of a clutz.
  5. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    what size bag to you need ? I have one that I am replacing and you are welcome to it.
  6. fn1564

Aug 24, 2004
    thank u guys for replying. i'm sry if my message misled people. my parents lost my bass case at the end of december. i lost it for about 5-6 months. During that time i lost my bass case and orchestra things came up. i eventually found it in the basement back in the crawl space. my parents and i have been arguing about is it safe or not for awhile.