1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this a real 1973 Fender P?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phxlbrmpf, May 6, 2006.

1. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Someone linked to this on a German bass forum.
    The seller claims the bass was bought in 1973 and spent 25 years in a case until now, hence the almost complete absence of scratches, dings and blemishes.

http://cgi.ebay.de/Fender-Precision...410604257QQcategoryZ87487QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm not an expert by any stretch but all this looks kinda fishy to me as the seller didn't include a serial number and the back of the neck doesn't seem to have yellowed in the slightest; I mean, if the bass was bought in 1973 and stored away in a case for the last 25 years, it must've been used for at least seven years, right? :eyebrow:

Whaddaya think?

2. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City

My 73, neck date March 73, has not yellowed significantly, a little, but not as much as others.

To me, the sunburst just isn't right, too distinct, too red, looks like a refin. I think this might have been discussed at length in the fenderforum.com

3. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    That is probably an old vintage neck, you can tell by the way Precision Bass is written in a curved fashion I think.

Here's a 57 vintage P (with upgraded pickups) if you'd like to compare:

[​IMG]

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    No.

73 would have a tortoise pickguard and that burst looks kind of trashy for 73. It looks like a real 70's fender, but I'm thinking 75-77 range?

Of course, IMO...but I do own a burst 73 P.

Here's mine to compare:

[​IMG]

5. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I was also wondering about that thumb rest, I'm not sure when they started putting it in the "proper" place (or the place where it actually makes sense).

6. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I'm guessing about a '74/'75. The serial number is still on the neck plate and not on the headstock. I think they made that switch in 76/77 sometime. Big Backward F on the Neck plate is consistant with that era. The black guards came in sometime around that time as well. Those 3 tone sunburst don't always photograph well. It probably looks better in person. The wear on the hardware looks about right for the age if it didn't leave the house much. Looks like he's in the ball park, but probably off by a year or two.

7. aye. just by looking at it... seems legit, like the colours, tuners, logos, etc.

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003

9. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

10. My 72-73 is very similar. It definitely seems to be 70s, except the black pickguard does scream mid 70s.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My opinion is that it's legit. Sunburst painting is not an exact art form. And CBS was never one to let something like a poor finish stand in the way of selling something. The pickguard could be a replacement, but I doubt it. I've seen that era Fender with black pickguards before. It certainly wasn't unheard of.

12. tsheldon

tsheldon Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Western New York
    I'm not an expert, but IMHO the thumbrest location plus the black pickguard makes me think 74-76.

13. I am no expert, but I have seen plenty of old fenders with exactly the same cruddy sunburst. I hated sunbursts on fenders til I saw a Jazz with a good one! On a side note, I added it to my watchlist in ebay. NOW MY EBAY IS ALL AUF DEUTSCH! Mein Gott! Mein kopf gespins! Okay my german sucks. Hoefully I can logout and log back in. Or else get a german/english dictionary...

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

That bass has a 50's silver fender logo, and the placement of the 'precision' moniker in the 50's location. The from Ebay has the proper logo from the late sixties to mid/late seventies. The logo changes a bit and the SN goes to the headstock in 77ish. BTW, the color of the neck + the color for the face of the headstock are about right...during the 70's Fender sprayed poly for the necks, but did the face of the headstock in nitro, as they found that poly reacted with the decals (IIRC). this leads to a different color tone from the headstock front to the rest of the neck.

Nope. 'Old Fender' is a big catch all. 60's and 50's sunbursts look a lot nicer than most of the 70's sunbursts, especially for ones in the 75-78 range, where the colors are super bright and not sprayed to blend very well. The early ones are especially nice since the red is UV sensitive, and fades quite a bit...to a point where some look like two color bursts.

Also, IIRC, the tort pickguard was phased out in either late 73 or 74.