1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this a real Fender? Period correct question...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kyon`, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
  2. Hugh9191

Hugh9191

Feb 20, 2009
    Looks as though the pics are up backwards, look at the writing on the headstock.

3. Punk Jazz

Punk Jazz

Sep 17, 2009
    Dover, NH
    Could be a Japanese RI, although I don't recall when they started those.

4. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    White pickup covers and strat style knobs appear to be period correct. Maybe an Allparts replacement neck? Ask to see a picture of the serial number.

5. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    Just noticed bullet trussrod. Not an Allparts neck.

6. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I do like the look

7. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    looks like a transition era, early 80's fender. definitely not an 87.

8. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Looks like a late 70's j, maybe early 80's but I think they replaced the blocks in the '81-'82 with dots....so it should be late 70's...

edit;
    definitely not a '87 j!

9. Hamerguy

Hamerguy

Mar 29, 2008
    I'd say transition 1981/82 Fender J, in that time they used whatever parts fit together. I guess there are quite some strange combinations to find, maybe even blocks with 4 bolts. The Stratocaster also had some strange transition models out. Some P-Basses came in unusual colors in 1982/83 (those that were used later for the Elite series).

10. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I can almost guarantee that is a parts bass. The white covers and knobs started in 82, the three bolt neck/bullet headstock adjust was discontinued in 80/81. All of the mixed make jazzes that were sold in the early 80s (S8 serial numbers, bound/blocks, either black or white pickups/knobs) that I have ever seen/seen posted were four bolt necks.

11. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    I can't see the damn knobs at all (are they white?) ...the replaced pickups are white but who knows...maybe it's a 1982/83 body with a 79/80/81 neck, fender produced skunk stripe rosewood necks w/blocks from '79-'81...or I'm completely wrong!:hyper::D:hyper:

12. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    something i first heard over at the fender forum. when youre talking about fender-never say never.

13. coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    very true, especially for this period. As I said, I haven't seen/heard of a bound/block neck coming stock on a bass with white pickup covers/knobs, but I've been surprised before.

Definitely ask for more info. Pot date codes, neck date code, etc.

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yep. I would def want to see the serial number and neck stamp. There are strange things going on there.

15. The ad says that the pickups are replacements. It is possible that this bass is an early 82 or an 81 transitional but the bottom line is it's impossible to tell by the photos. No way to tell if this is what it says it is based on those small, crappy, backwards photos.

Edited to clarify: Obviously it is most certainly not what he says it is (a 1987 model) but it is impossible to tell if it's an actual factory Fender.

16. Absolutely legit, pay the man exactly what he is asking.

(Sorry, I just wanted to be thie first person to ever say that on one of these type of threads. Listen to the smart folks, get more info and ask for some right way around pictures)

17. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    looks like an MIJ 75' ri..early 80's..price is high if it is especially if its non original pups. IMO its nothing special and there are better deals to be had on these.

18. coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Haha yeah helps to read the ad, and the other posts that said them same thing :D

I went back to the fender bass book to see if there was any more info I could dig out. There's a picture from an early 80's catalog which shows a gray jazz, rosewood block and bound, white guard, black covers, etc looks a lot like the one in the pictures. But, the book also says that all of the old stock of block necks, etc, were run out before 1985 when the new ownership took over.

When did fender starting doing the 75RI? And were they all maple? Could this potentially be a CIJ 75RI? The ad doesn't say USA fender.

Edit - take time to do some research and someone beats you to it haha. I was just reading Your Idol's posts in another TB thread about the CIJ/MIJ RI models.

19. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    from the jacked up pictures, it looks like it has 70's spacing though which would mean it couldnt be an import