1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this a real fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sadie Brulivan, Jan 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Sadie Brulivan

Sadie Brulivan

Jan 1, 2020
    Gifted to me, don’t know anything about bass guitars upload_2020-1-1_19-48-3.png upload_2020-1-1_19-48-18.png upload_2020-1-1_19-48-18.png upload_2020-1-1_19-48-30.png upload_2020-1-1_19-48-57.png upload_2020-1-1_19-48-3.png

MynameisMe likes this.
  2. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Roots and fifths and a little extra. Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I'm not an expert on Fender Jazz bases, but this looks legit to me. Someone here can probably give you an idea of the vintage by the placement of the serial number on the neck plate. And the "contour body" line on the headstock. I'm guessing it's 70s.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    Joesmintballs and Reedt2000 like this.
  3. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider

Not an expert either, but I've never seen "jazz bass" written that way before. The rest does look legit though. Is it a pic angles thing or is that neck a little off (4th pic) ?

4. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    "F" plate, and neck are not Fender. Not sure about the body.

5. Hiya,
    The only way to really tell is to pull the neck and hope a date stamp is there and "licensed by Fender" stamp isn't.

It looks like a '70's "bullet" neck but the head stock decal doesn't look quite right for a '70's era instrument, I thought they dropped the "des" in the late '60's, like 68 or so. Also, the font in the waterslide is off to me but I don't have a bullet era bass to compare it to.

Cycleops and Kro like this.
  6. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US

Also, the "skunk stripe" looks too wide to be a Fender.

Jazzish likes this.
  7. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I'd say no just based on that huge fake logo on the headstock.

8. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    That font looks odd to me.

9. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Nothing Fender there. Chinese neck, tuners, bridge, knobs. Fake decal, neck plate, etc.

Thibby, TonyP-, Picton and 5 others like this.
  10. MynameisMe

MynameisMe Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat...... Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax Florida
    If it sounds and plays good enjoy it.

11. BassAgent

BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Official Artist: Eich Amplification
    This. 100% not a Fender.

Thibby, TonyP-, Jazzish and 4 others like this.
  12. Thum5b

Thum5b

Dec 24, 2019
    What's up with the strings?

AustinRanger101, HG1180 and Pops OB like this.
  13. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    True, this bass could be a great player even if fake. But he should authenticate it all the same whether for reselling options or just plain natural curiosity.

It looks a bit odd, so maybe a fake, but maybe not all of it is fake and old authentic parts can still be valuable.

14. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Might not be a genuine Fender but...
    Someone gave it to you.
    It looks good.
    If it plays and sounds good, that's all that really matters.

MynameisMe, JRA and kesslari like this.
  15. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    If its playable, you won , complete with HSC? Yeah, it's a fake Fender, big whup. Millions floating around. I'd refin that and flog it hard.

16. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    Based on the logo, neckplate, and some other things, I'd say it does not look like a real Fender bass, but it doesn't look too bad, really... for free, it's definitely worth it. ;)

17. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    To the OP: you are getting alot advice to enjoy the free bass, but you haven't indicated whether you play bass or are even interested in playing bass, so if you don't care about playing, that doesn't really help.

We can only do so much with pictures. Some have pointed out some oddities that suggest it's fake, but to really know you should take it to a guitar shop and ask if they or someone else can tell what it is. Even a fake might have valuable authentic parts on it. Or it could have started out real and previous owners modded or replaced parts with no intention of perpetrating a fraudulent sale. In short, it is worth taking it to someone knowledgeable in person. Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    andruca, Winoman and Ghastly like this.
  18. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Not a Fender.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  19. lfmn16

lfmn16 Suspended Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Definitely not a Fender, but you got your moneys worth. :D

20. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    If you intend on selling it, please make it very clear to potential buyers that this is a fake Fender or at best a parts bass of unknown pedigree and price it accordingly.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021