1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this a real Gibson?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shroom, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Shroom

Shroom

Dec 12, 2006
  2. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    might have started its life as a gibson, but it's a really poor modding job (shimmed badass bridge, TERRIBLE refinish, etc). it looks like the headstock broke or cracked at some point, and the shape doesn't look quite right to me. regardless of whether it's a gibson or not, i wouldn't trust it.

3. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    i dunno man. if the wood is really mahogany and walnut there's a good chance it is. the epi's are alder i think...

4. Shroom

Shroom

Dec 12, 2006
    Hmmm... I could live with the finish. I like what they did with that weird shiny whatever it is. You're right about that crack though. I just noticed it a minute ago, and it makes me a little edgy. The bridge job ain't great either, now that you mention it.. :meh:

Thanks for talking me out of it =D

5. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    That "small stress crack" bothers me...looks like it broke and someone fixed it and then painted the headstock with a brush.

6. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    (it's a weird idea to put a badass on a thunderbird, because of the ridiculous pickup height.)

7. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    It looks like a real Gibson because of the stamp on the back of the headstock. It needs a lot of work to remove those ugly mods, and the crack is a potential problem. Still if it goes for a low price it might be worth it. I have a '76 Thunderbird with a broken neck that was fixed and looks worse than that crack but is solid.

8. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I would give you $2.55 for that chunk of firewood. I like the "stress cracks" -- that really inspires confidence in the bass.

9. Hi.

04 (if I read the serial number correctly) bass and in that condition :rolleyes:.

That's no stress crack, with stress cracks there's no need to paint the back of the headstock. I have repaired several Gibsons and IMHO that's just the usual Gibson "snapping headstock". Easy to repair correctly though.

The price is right, and with a hardcase well worth a couple of hundred more IMO. But I live in an area where Thunderbirds are kinda rare.

I'd go for it.

Regards
    Sam