1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this a real MIM P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by big jilm, Jun 1, 2014.

1. big jilm

big jilm

May 1, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Hi, everyone -

I am thinking of making a swap of an old acoustic I don't like for this MIM P-Bass. Something about it looks funny to me - the decal, maybe? Can you wise folk have a look and tell me what I am dealing with here?

What do you think?

big jilm

Attached Files:

1.jpg
      File size:
      186.8 KB
      Views:
      2.jpg
      File size:
      192.7 KB
      Views:
      3.jpg
      File size:
      189 KB
      Views:
      4.jpg
      File size:
      214.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Weird someone would try to screw around with a $250-350 bass, but the logo isn't right. Also, where is the MZ serial #? Generally on the front but depending on the year, it could be on the back.

3. SonnyBassPlayer

SonnyBassPlayer

Nov 29, 2013
    Italy
    I own two MiM P basses from different years, and it's pretty clear to me that bass has something wrong.

The headstock decal is not original, in all its parts;

The fretboard over the truss rod access is gone/broken/VERY wrong;

The pickguard is not original/replaced as they don't come stock with black;

The pots also are not from a standard P bass, replaced.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  4. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    The neck isn't right...MIM Fender necks for example have a dark wood ring around the truss rod adjustment. I think that's a replacement neck- (with Fender decal?).
    Body shape looks right- knobs are jazz bass knobs. Pickguard may be a replacement?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  5. Scungilli

Scungilli Guest

Feb 4, 2014
    Looks like a squier body with a parts neck with Fender decal. Don't get it bro

6. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Yeah, my MIM precision bass headstock logo does not look "self" applied like that.

7. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    It's one of these....

Attached Files:

8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Call the guy out on his shenanigans and let us know what he said.

9. big jilm

big jilm

May 1, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I thought as much! Well, I thank you, gents - I'll pass on this one!

10. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    I feel so much wrong in this bass...

11. Thats a $50 bass.

12. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Despite this incident (just another of too many) I still think it's OK to put a Fender decal on a clone or a Squier bass. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  13. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    So fake.

14. mattpbass

mattpbass

May 8, 2011
    Vintage modified squier with a fender decal ??

15. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Of course it is. It's not ok to sell it as if it's a Fender though. That's called lying.

16. Is the body light like a bass wood bass or heavier like an alder bass? I would check out that bass. It could be worth a look. The neck almost looks like a MIA neck.

17. a few years ago, My first guitar. I'm wondering around a pawn shop. This Pawn shop in Wood River Illinois.( https://www.google.com/maps/@38.871...!1e1!3m2!1sHICXK-T-atFDULdJCUqoRw!2e0!6m1!1e1)
    I saw a fender Stratocaster for $120. I knew nothing about guitars back then. I thought this was a good deal. I got it for $100. I took it to a guitar repair center in St. Louis. The guy didn't even have to hold it, he said "This isn't a Stratocaster, its a fake." The decal is fake, and you can tell by the neck. The wood work sucks.
    So I took it back to the pawn shop. The owner said "Of course its not a fender, I would have to be an idiot to sell a real fender for $100." I demanded my money back. He said no refunds. I told him I would get my $100 worth out of the transaction, but he wouldn't like the results.
    I called the police. They filed a report but couldn't do anything about it. I went to the city attorneys office. They were very protective of their businesses they had in town so I was out of luck there. I went to the local newspaper and spoke with the editor. He was very interested, but never did anything. I called Fender. They were only interested if it was a the guy was selling new guitars labeled fender. No luck there.
    I finally called the Illinois states attorney and filed a formal complaint with them.
    I have managed to tell this story to all the other pawn shop owners in the area who have relayed that message to their customers over the years about the business practices at this place. I'm sure its cost him money over the years.
    I ended up trading it in at a local music store for $100 credit on a proper Stratocaster (the one you see in the Avitar that bob bag is holding), and they scraped the fake label off and put it up for sale for $80 as a generic guitar.

The lesson I learned, was in my opinion be VERY careful what you think you are buying, especially on craigslist , eBay, or pawn shop.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014