1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this a real Ric bass? Pics included.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fenderhutz, Jan 25, 2012.

1. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I stopped by a local pawn shop and asked if he had anything he was going to put on Ebay that was too "good" for the floor and people grabbing stuff.

He walks out with the Ric pictured below (and encouraged me to take pics to see if it was a fake).

The last time I tried a Ric was around 2005 and I don't remember them looking or feeling this "cheap". He let me take the truss cover off and verified dual truss rods. I put the serial number in the Ric database and it checked out to me made in 2009. The bridge, truss cover and pickguard just seemed cheap. The Ric website doesn't tell you model or color for the serial check (which is ridiculous). I just want a second set of eyes to look at it. The action was a little high and that kinda scared me because of someone not knowing how to adjust the truss rods properly. He offered a decent price and a layaway option.

If this is indeed a real Ric I might have second thoughts. It just didn't feel like a 1,600 dollar bass new, the one I tried in 2005 did. I am curious if quality has gone THAT far downhill. There was also some kind of wood dust under the truss cover that seemed like it was left there from manufacture.

The pics:

20120125_171934.

20120125_171834.

20120125_171906.

20120125_171811.

20120125_171944.

20120125_171817.

2. Quality hasn't "gone downhill" from 2005 to 2009. If anything, it's gone "uphill". If the bass in the pic is fake, it's a pretty good one. Anything is possible.

BTW, dust under the covers is the norm for 99.9% of all basses. Nothing to get excited about.

3. That is real and judging by the inlays it is going to be after 2006 , so 2009 is very believable, you can even see the seam where the headstock wings are glued on , it all looks correct to me, did it have the vintage push pull pot? and the case?

No doubt thats a real ric , adjustable pole pieces , unbeveled gaurd , that bridge is correct so it looks all original as well for a 2009.

Hardcase included? i wouldnt pay over 1300$ with a hardcase , but at a pawn shop i would want it for around 1000-1200$

4. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    No case. Your range on the low end is what he offered.

5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    That is a Real Rickenbacker.

As per quality. I owned a 2011 and worked on 2 2010 4003 basses.

They were all excellent quality.

If you don't like the pickguard then order a replacement from Pickguardian Custom Pickguards

6. That's the real deal!

7. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I will see what I can haggle tomorrow since it doesn't have the case and it has a couple dings. I have always wanted one, but not for the "new" price and I missed the Musicians Friend deal where they were selling for 1200 or less a few months back.

8. Yep, she's real.

9. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Just put up my RAY34 to hopefully make this happen then. I just sold another bass last week and need to get some additional fundage.

10. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    Wow, why can't I find deals like that?! I'd jump on that in a heartbeat! Good find.

11. I hate to be 'that guy,' but that's an example of what can make these seem 'cheap.' You really shouldn't be able to see seams like that when its done right.

12. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    it's definitely the real deal and i don't see anything 'cheap' about the newer ones like it. i have an '09 jetglo and it's easily as nice as my '93 V63 and as nice or better than any of my 5 previous vintage rics.

13. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Yep. My 09 is awesome and much better than my 88.

14. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Maybe it was single ply plastic everything that made it seem cheap to me.

15. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    they've always been that way, and it's actually plexiglas.

16. I would offer him 750$ after playing it a bit. He may bite and i would go all the way up to 900$.Its worth more then 900$ but i would wanna pay that so if i chose to unload it i wouldnt lose cash.

Ebay/paypal will beat him up with fees , then he has to ship it , post it up for sale etc he would only get around 800$ for it , thats if it sold for 1000$ , however think on ebay it would go for a bit more then a grand.

17. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Late Winter/early Spring of 2008 is when the new FWI started showing up.

As others have said, this is quite real, and very nice, too.

18. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    They are a "smart" pawn shop. He was saving it for Ebay expecting to get 1250ish for it. He was offering to me for a little less to save him on the other stuff. I am sure he gave the guy 850-900 for it according to the boss.

19. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    On Ebay a bass like that would go for $1600 with the case.

20. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Yeah. No case and some minor wear. If I can get it for 1k cash I would be VERY happy.