Is this a real USA Peavey Cirrus (no serial)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rat Blitz, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Rat Blitz

Rat Blitz

Jan 6, 2009
    Is this a real USA Peavey Cirrus?
    The story is there is no serial number and it came from a sales rep sometime in early 90s.
    I would usually flee right away but I thought i remembered reading that there were some Cirrus without serial numbers at the beginning of the run?
    Or is it the BXP model with serial number sticker that was removed?
    Your thoughts?
    $_59.JPG $_591.JPG

jimmyfwl likes this.
  2. That's a Peavey Zephyr. Came in both bolt on and neck through versions. Never sold in the USA.
    Peavey were testing the market for a cheap but pretty Cirrus-like passive bass so tried the Zephyrs in Europe.

Well mostly in Europe, I know a fella in Ghana plays a Zephyr 5 :D

You'll sometimes see them listed as C-4s or C-5s.

The strange thing about the Zephyrs is they bridge the gap between Cirrus and Grinds. When the Grinds first appeared they were active PJ 4 strings and active JJ 5 strings.They were also poor sellers,even the active BXP models were poor sellers.

Somebody at Peavey most have remembered the passive Zephyrs were a pretty decent seller so the USA built Grinds were scrapped and the BXP Grinds got changed from active PJ/JJ to passive soapbar basses.

A smart move as the passive Grinds are still a strong seller even after 14 years on the market.

There are some lovely Zephyrs out there. I put a German lad in touch with an Italian seller for this flame top
    37219241_10156484875439134_9153676455786315776_o.jpg

My own Zephyr 5 has a more modest top,swapped the hardware for gold to make up for it :laugh:
    Zephyr Web.jpg

mech likes this.
  3. Rat Blitz

Rat Blitz

Jan 6, 2009
    That's interesting. Seller says this bass is active and not passive which seems odd. Also the Zephyr has 4 controls while the one that is for sale has 5. Where were the Zephyrs built?

4. Among the things that stand out against this being a Cirrus,even a BXP Cirrus,are the fret markers and pickups.

Cirrus have an abalone "C" at the 12th fret,they also have VFL pickups. The ones on the bass pictured are flat tops,VFLs are radiused. Cirrus have ABM or Hipshot bridges,the one pictured is neither.The cut out at the lower horn should be wider,giving the bass an almost offset look. No "Cirrus" on the harpoon head is a worrying point.

Even the pot arrangement is suspect. Active Peaveys all have a 2 + 3 arrangement, that's a 3 +2. When I added a preamp to my Zephyr I kept to 4 pots,here I suspect an extra hole was drilled.My friend in Ghana added mini switches for coil taps to his.

That Zephyr 5 of mine is one of the 54 Peavey basses I own so I'm fairly well aquainted with the brand and models. Of course owning a lot of basses does not make one all knowing,there's always the chance this was a prototype that somehow missed the usual fate of the Peavey prototype furnace. That doesn't explain the 3+2 pots,since the Dynabass in the early 80's it's been Vol,Blend then the tone pots below.

I'd ask the seller for more info,ask to see photos of the control cavity. A Peavey preamp will have a PCB with the pots mounted on stalks.

The origin of my Zephyr is unknown,no "Made in ..","Handcrafted in ...","Crafted in ..." but these retailed for £200 so it was never MIA. I'd guess Vietnam or Indonesia. If you'd like I can ask other the Zephyr owners I know if theirs bear an origin stamp,might take a couple of days for replies.

5. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Based on your post, I wouldn't even bother pursuing it further.

kodiakblair likes this.
  6. Rat Blitz

Rat Blitz

Jan 6, 2009
    I asked for photos of control cavity but this was all he was able to send at the time.

bass.jpg bass2.jpg bass3.jpg

7. Hi there @Rat Blitz

Not much to tell from the front except those are not VFL pickups. I can't make up my mind if those are busted pots or a busted pot and a mini switch. Either way that's not a Cirrus layout. Cirrus is Volume in the middle but below both pickups,Blend below the bridge pickup, there bass,mid,treble all in a row below Vol/Blend.

On the back the battery box is in the right position but it's not a type Peavey used.

Here's what I don't see on this that I see on Cirrus basses.

Headstock- No Cirrus logo and no evidence of the carbon wrap. No serial ( later Cirrus had serial numbers on a sticker,early Cirrus had it stamped.Wrong shape of TR cover.

The Neck - Cirrus necks don't have fret markers except a enlongated C on the 12th fret.

Pickups - Cirrus have radiused VFL attached by 4 screws through half circle lugs. 2 top 2 bottom. They have Peavey imprinted into the top ofthe cover.

Bridge- Cirrus have heavy duty milled brass units by ABM or Hipshot.

The pots I've spoke about already.

The body- The lower cut out should be wider. One fact I just remembered and this has a large bearing on whether it's a prototype. When the Cirrus prototype was built there wasn't timber in the stores long enough for the 35" through neck design. The work around was a block of timber laid horizontal where the strap button fits.

Remember I'm making no claims to be an expert,I just own many Peaveys. I look at the one you posted and I see the same logo and position of the logo as it appears on the Zephyr basses. It has the same TR cover as the Zephyr basses. It has fret markers just like the Zephyr. The pickups are the same shape as the ones on Zephyrs,Grinds and the International basses. The bridge is the exact same as the ones used on Zephyrs too.

Since I've only pictures to go on it would be wrong to say it's a modded Zephyr 100% certain. My gut feeling is it's a modded Zephyr,nothing wrong with that the Zephyrs are extremely well made basses. I just spot far too many similarites to the Zephyr.

It's your call I'm afraid.

BTW here a photo of my Zephyr's headstock (ignore the clip on tuner)the logo is the important bit to compare with the other bass. The other is of the flat top pickups used in Grinds and the Internationals.
    Aurora Reds 2.jpg IMG_20140703_183312.jpg

8. Oh here's the bridge that came fitted as stock on the Zephyr.
    Zephyr Rosewood.jpg

9. @Rat Blitz

I've post a link to this thread in the Cirrus Owners thread. With only my opinion so far it'll be hard for you to make a decision, I know I'd want hear from more people too. Hopefully some one will help.

BTW did the seller confirm 35" scale length ?

10. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I am certainly no expert but I do own 3 Cirrus basses. That is not a Cirrus IMO.

11. Thanks for taking the time to read the fella's plea and post your thoughts @Chuck M

Chuck M likes this.
  12. IronSpatula

IronSpatula

Dec 13, 2003
    Northern CA
    Definitely not a BXP with the serial removed. As mentioned, the knobs are not in the right places. The layer of wood on the back of the body wings is something I've never seen on any Cirrus, USA or import.

Looks like a nicely constructed bass on the whole, but it probably won't sound like a Cirrus. The pickups are not radiused VFLs and the Cirrus preamp wouldn't fit that control layout.

13. Rat Blitz

Rat Blitz

Jan 6, 2009
    Thanks for the advice. I have more than a few Peaveys but I just wasn't sure about this one. Will have to take a pass on it.

14. jimmyfwl

jimmyfwl Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    I don't believe they began production of USA Cirrus' until the late 90's, which would, of course, exclude this bass if the sales rep. was accurate.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021