Is this a reasonable price for de-fretting?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yoshi, Apr 3, 2003.

1. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hi, sorry to post in here aswell as luthiers, but no one has got back to me in there for almost 48 hours. I've deleted the thread I made 4 days agp on defretting in this forum by the way.

The other day I went into a local city with friends and got to a music shop. I asked the guy at the till if he knew any luthiers that could de fret my bass and he gave me a number to ring, at which point the instore luthier entered the door. Anyway, I asked him about pricing and approx' wiating times and he said it'd take about 2 weeks and cost around £80.

£80 seems a lot to me, or is this a reasonable price? I'll look around elsewhere too but I was wondereing if its a fair price?

2. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Goodness! You can do it yourself for a fraction of that.
  3. Think of it as a de-fret job and an insurance policy.

DIY and mess up at all and your stuck.

Pay to have it done and liability is transferred to the shop.
  4. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Don't know the UK/US conversion factor, but I just paid $80 USD to have mine done by a pro, and I'm incredibly happy with the results. Obviously I can't speak for
    luthiers that I have no experience with, but at least this shoud give you another data point. Cheers!
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    John DiMaggio at Bass Alone does it for $100. I think that's a decent price. 80 quid is a little more, but not too bad.