Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this a rut m in?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Aug 10, 2004.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Latley my bass palying hasnt been to special. When i play, all i play is covers, and im not enthusiastic. Im doing more theory learning, therefore im doing alot more reading etc than actual playing. After playing for about 20 minutes i find myself laying on the ground starting up at my stack twanging on a few notes.

I havent been able to write anything lately, and my ear isnt too crash hot. I took me a few hours to learn 'the reason' by hoobastank, when a pop/rock song like that would usually take me 15-20 minutes. I think im fed up with playing to a CD, and i just want to jam with REAL people.

Ive also noticed that latley i have been more interested in the recording aspect of music, rather than the actual playing. When listening to a song, i find myself trying to see what the producer has done, instead of trying to critisize the bass line. I think this is because music production is what i want to do as a career, moreso than be a professional bassist.

Im just wondering if anyone else has ever felt like this. If so, have they manged to stay a happy bass player or what.

2. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i find myself in ruts quite often. what i do is go and pick up a new CD or listen to something that i normally wouldnt just to check out other facets of bass playing.

sometimes, setting the bass down for a week really acts like a reset switch too.

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I agree. When I get in a rut I have to "walk away" so to speak for a little while. Since your interested in recording, do some research on that for a few.

I try to find other music/instrument related things I can do. I learned how to do my own instrument setup. Now, I'm getting into refinishing and inlay stuff and I'm building a tube preamp. All these little side things help keep me out of a rut while still keeping me hooked into the whole music/musician frame of mind. Don't tell anbody, but I've even been playing one of those geetars a little :D

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    All good points... Know what helps me out? Going through your mind, & finding an old song that you used to really love as a kid... Recently, I went back & DL's Cheap Trick's - Ain't that a Shame... It's in no way challenging at all, but its a fun bluesy song, & the live version has a lot of grit in it, which makes it FUN... Actual fun,, can you believe it???

Back to the point, sounds like you've mired yourself in turning a passion, into work. It's time to remember why you love it... Cuz its fun!

5. i say when your in a rut, screw playing to learn or to write. the only thing you can do is just play for the hell of playing. like in my case, I just had to realize that playing two notes as part of a bass role just wouldn't be my thing, so i overplay now and get criticized by my parents for the different style :smug:

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    What jumped out to me in your post:

I JUST WANT TO JAM WITH REAL PEOPLE

OK, so what's stopping you? It may seem hopeless at first but the playing opportunities are out there, if you're hungry enough you will put in the effort to find them.

7. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I do jam with other people. By that, i mean the only time i really enjoy my bass playing and get into it is when im playing with other people.

McHack- Ive done a bit of that aswell. I recently discovered my old sugar ray album and my pop compliation from winter 1998. I must say, that approach does work a wee bit :)

8. Good Point there !
    Obviously the passion has taken a backward step not to worry this happens to everyone well most theres good advice in here like taking time off from playing and focusing on other aspects and YES it is a rut so do yourself a favour and take a break if you want b/c when that passion comes back youll be refreshed and hopefully more willing to learn even more so RELAX .
    You could go to a live concert that might help or check out any clinics ( doesnt have to be bass could be any musician that is well known ) I find out when Im in a rut I just listen to music both live and through my CD playa
    So Im just relaying the point that others have said
    Hope this helps

9. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    There is nothing wrong with stepping away from your bass. If it isn't fun any more and you can't seem to find a way for it to be fun, then just walk away. You'll come back to it, but maybe you just need a break.

Personally, I enjoy two things:

1. Hanging out with the guys. Yep, matters not what we play. It is fun hanging out.

2. Exploring a new aspect of the instrument. For me, this is solo bass playing and looping.