Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this a scam? if so what next?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Groove Theory, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    hey, I've never gotten a scammer before. but I just put an item on eBay, and I get this:

" Compliment of the season to youand happy weekend. I am (name) from New York,but Presently in UK for a church programme. I saw your product item below on ebay # 6856125627 and i am really intrested in buying it for my Daughter as a surprise gift for her in Oxbrigde college lagos and i will handle the shipment expenses.
    i will send you my personal fedex international account for pick up ,so you will not pay no money for shipping. i will be sending you payment via PayPal,so kindly send
    me your PAYPAL EMAIL ADDRESS so as to immedaitely make out your payment and you will receive the paypal payment confirmation from paypal. make sure you get the package ready for shipment,you can ship the item as soon as you recieve the paypal payment confirmation from paypal.
    Expecting your reply so as to immedaitely make out the payment."

I took her name out of the letter incase she truly is legit. anyways, she bought my laptop using buy it now, and says she's paying with paypal (which is all good, no cashier's checks, no overpayments) but her bad grammer and the whole fed ex account pickup stuff makes me wonder, plus she's got zero feedback...so what do you think? I'm definantly not going to have fed ex pick it up, I'll be taking it to fed ex for myself. but what can I do? I mean she's going through ebay and paypal with the transaction, but I'm still a bit uneasy about the whole thing.:eyebrow:

2. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Clay just got one yesterday that was 99.9% a scam. This has all the earmarks except PayPal. His was too. I think they have figured out a way to scam PayPal.
    Stinks to me.

My guess would be they have found a way to hack someone elses PayPal account.

3. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Yeah, it's definetely a scam. They will pay through PayPal using a stolen credit card, and have it picked up by Fed Ex using a hijacked Fed Ex account. The copy and paste grammar is a giveaway, and the British spelling (ex: "programme"). The way it works is, she contacts Fed Ex, has it shipped to New York, and their patsy in New York, will then forward it to either Nigeria, UK, or wherever. Notice:
    Lagos is a dead giveaway. Lagos is an area in Nigeria in which scams are prominent. If I were in your place, I would refund the payment, and report the account.

4. Groove Theory

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    thats what I'm thinking, should I just see if she pays, wait for the payment to clear completely (like in my bank account) before I ship it? should I report it? I've had other legit people interested in it and now I gotta deal with this...pain in the butt.:scowl:

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    The payment will clear. They're using a stolen credit card for their account. Whatever you do, do not ship it.

6. Groove Theory

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    can I say that TB is the best....I think thats exactally what I'll do. Thanks!

7. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    That is a load off my conscience, for nearly a year I had to help these assholes scam businesses out of thousands of dollars of products. Now, I'm glad I can stop these assholes dead in their tracks.

If you're still not sure what to do, I can give you plenty more reasoning to believe they're a scammer.

8. Groove Theory

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    Oh I believe it, but my inexperience is my downfall. I do have some questions on how to handle it at this point and could use your help. I'll PM ya.

9. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    All though most likely already covered, just reading the first few lines makes it sound like a scam. It's good that you're being careful.

10. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I've PMed ya back. Anyone care to learn how suckers on dating sites fall prey to become patsies for passing off stolen goods? :D

11. Groove Theory

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    Thanks bro...I just sent the e-mail telling them not to pay and I'm going to go report the accout to e-bay...it makes me wonder why these people just cant go get real jobs :scowl:

and I've said it before, I'll say it again. TB is the best!

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I am amazed that people still wonder about this.

-Mike

13. You can stop right there. Any e-mail that begins with something like "Compliment of the season to you and happy weekend" is a scam.

Seriously. Just google "Compliment of the Season".

- Dave

14. Groove Theory

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    hah....I just noticed that its spelled wrong too. it should be Complement...

15. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Only 99.99% scam? That, and this are scam on rollerskates, baby. I have only received one or two of those e-mails, but I can pick out a scammer like that. There should be no question on these. Just ignore them and go along.

16. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I put 99.99% only due to the fact I hadn't figured out how thay were scamming PayPal. A stolen credit card explains it. Yesterday was the first time I'd seen someone use PayPal.

17. Groove Theory

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    ditto, if it said cashier's check (or cheque as they put it), I wouldn't have even thought twice.

18. It's worse than that. "Compliment of the season" is actually supposed to be something they are supposed to fill into their scammer email template. That's how stupid these people really are. What they were supposed to do was replace "compliment of the season" in the template with "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Presidents Day" or "Happy Thanksgiving", depending on the season.

:D

- Dave

(or, I maybe I just made all that up. you be the judge)

19. AspiringBassMan

AspiringBassMan

Dec 10, 2005
    UK
    Groove theory
    a piece of advice. if you do get scammed, you are ONLY covered for when the buyer and seller currently reside in the USA. i am very dubious about ebay, so i would recommend that you don't deal with anyone outside of your own country in future for your own piece of mind.
    there has been many an occassion where people have paid through paypal, had their payment into their account verified by paypa, only to receive a further email from paypal stating that "there appears to be something wrong with the transaction". by which time, the item that you're selling has gone off to nigeria or romania or wherever...with that and the payment never to be seen again. if its in the same country, you are covered to a certain degree.
    my advice to you is not to trust that buyer.
    ask the person if they're willing to pay by cheque. this will at least give something concrete for you to follow up on (ie a real address). its also a means to test the other person for their sincerity. get into a conversation with them via email and try to find out as much as possible about them. if they appear to not want to have much interaction with you, that is often a sign that they are not genuine. at some point or other, they are bound to slip up with some inconsistancy.

ps there is NO college in either oxford or cambridge university called lagos.
    ps2 oxbridge refers to oxford and cambridge. it seems VERY unusual that they state oxbridge rather than either oxford or cambridge when referring to their daughters university. that in itself looks highly suspicious!

20. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    scammers suck...

why is nigeria such a hotspot for them?